Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

How to make the Degree ° symbol

siggy
siggy Member Posts: 79
Bob, It's simply a matter of present market share. The number of people using macs AND looking for hydronic design software would not support the costs involved to develop and support a mac version. That's really all there is to it.

Believe me I wish it was the other way around.

Still, there are solutions. The best is to get any new mac with an intel processor and add a copy of windows to it. Forget Virtual PC at this point. Although our software does run on it, the speed is barely tolerable. The Intel-based mac can run windows software at near native speed.

Siggy

Comments

• Michael Rogers
    Michael Rogers Member Posts: 29

I've noticed that most people use * after their temps.. If you want to do the degree thing eg. 375°F, here is how you do it. Hold "Alt" and type 0176 on the number pad to the right of the keyboard. alt 0176 makes this °
    Have fun and we can thank my wife for this.
  • David Sutton_6
    David Sutton_6 Member Posts: 1,079
    neat stuff

°°° hmmmm Cool °‘º$¨“Ÿœ‡ò¨}ˆ}礳ɩgÔÆÔÔ)≥H₧q Θ

Neat play around neat stuff pops up lol

c6√■■■■■■■ ■@■;ΘΘ♥!♥

wow must be bored huh ♥

David
  • STEVE PAUL_3
    STEVE PAUL_3 Member Posts: 126
  • Jeff Lawrence_25
    Jeff Lawrence_25 Member Posts: 746
    But

It only works if you're on a regular keyboard. laptops need the additional numeric keypad.
  • Dave_4
    Dave_4 Member Posts: 1,405
    Geez... I guess my Alt[248] is just for °C...

2 4 8 might be easier to remember
  • Christian Egli_2
    Christian Egli_2 Member Posts: 812
    Laptop numeric lock enforcement

The numeric keypad exists on my laptop, it’s superposed over the letters j k l u i o, and vicinity, to get to it, I have to hit the num lk button which is accessible with a parallel push of the Fn knob.

So, for a degree on my laptop, it’s first Fn + num lk, then alt + 0176, then back to Fn + num lk, for continued happy typing. I expect evolution will have to grow us another dozen fingers or so in the near future.

There is also a light bulb to indicate the activation of the num lk... I can’t count how many of the old PCs I must have thrown out the window because they wouldn’t start on numeric lock. Remember how you could be the office genius just for knowing that tiny bit of info?

Cool by many °°°s
  • bob young
    bob young Member Posts: 2,177

YEAH, but can you cut a crooked thread with a 65r ?
  • brucewo1b
    brucewo1b Member Posts: 638

• brucewo1b
    brucewo1b Member Posts: 638

°
  • Mike T., Swampeast MO
    Mike T., Swampeast MO Member Posts: 6,928

Here's a very neat little freeware program. Very handy and gives quick & easy access to many unusual characters. No delta symbol unfortunately...

Right click and tell to "save target as".

Replace the name "attachment.zip" with: allchars36.zip

After it's copied, double click and follow the instructions for extraction & installation.
  • CC.Rob_2
    CC.Rob_2 Member Posts: 46
    character map

Windoze has a "Character Map" application. At least XP Pro does. Every character for every font on your system is available there. Select, copy, paste, or note the Alt+keystroke listed in the lower right corner and use that. Simple.

I think it's under Start->Accessories (I moved mine to the desktop since I use it all the time).
  • steve b_21
    steve b_21 Member Posts: 1

If Δ is what you need, and you have a PC, just go to Start>all programs>accessories>system tools>character map and you will find Delta and many more symbols. I find it a bit awkward to find the symbols I want to use, but if you can't find what you need elsewhere...
  • Bill Nye_2
    Bill Nye_2 Member Posts: 538
    degree

You don't need a degree to make a degree °°°

Just hold down the "alt" and type 0176 on the numeral pad

°°°°
  • Maine Doug_59
    Maine Doug_59 Member Posts: 6
    I would bet

that Dan has a Character Map of the gang that provides so much information and life to this Wall. Imagine being able to use it for things like punctuation.
  • Joe Brix
    Joe Brix Member Posts: 626
    Well I just gotta try it!

°°

• mike glass
    mike glass Member Posts: 53
    Degree symbol

0°°° Works for me both ways as long as you remember to let go of the "alt" key! Thanks
  • siggy
    siggy Member Posts: 79
    making the º symbol

On a Macintosh you simply hold the option key and press 0 (zero) to get º.
    Hold option and press J to get the delta symbol ?.

Watch out because these symbols can change as files get passed through e-mail and Internet. The question mark symbol you see at the end of the second sentence above really was the delta triangle symbol before I posted this text.

siggy
  • bob_50
    bob_50 Member Posts: 306
    Siggy

If you use a Mac why isn't your software available for the Mac? 212ºF ∆T Thank's for the tips. bob
  • Steamhead (in transit)
    Steamhead (in transit) Member Posts: 6,688
    It's under

Start> Accessories> System Tools in Windows XP, same place the Disk Defragmenter and other maintenance programs are. Here's the Delta: ∆ .

Bethcha Gates & Company moved it to a different place in the upcoming Windows Vista. But we shouldn't deal with Vista until at least the second service pack.....

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Weezbo
    Weezbo Member Posts: 6,232
    Only ,-42°F here today *~/:)

real cool as it were :)

Just heated up some fat back for me dogg and was finishing off some BBQ Beans...when a Moose strolled past me kitchen window:) i'd ask him in to send you a post except Moose people dont know How to do computers :)

i like them even if they dont have that skill:)
This discussion has been closed.