Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Controls programming

JBW_2
JBW_2 Member Posts: 67
Hello all,

I work for a midsized Plumbing and Heating outfit in Montreal. We do mostly service for residential and commercial applications with some industrial. As far as central controls go, we mostly use off-the-shelf type products such as Tekmar and the like. We are coming across more and more plug in applications (pre-programmed controls, that you would modify paramters on using an end user software).

We would like to get into this end of the business but just dont really have the exposure. I have heard about the programming languages BacNet and LonMark and also about a few companies in our area that manufacture the controls and softwares that go along with them.

I would like to get some advice from someone who works in this end of the industry. What do you recommend for starters? I was thinking of a training course for a few of our guys, but what are the things that I should look for in a course? What is the industry standard? BacNet or LonMark based? Are all the softwares pretty similar or is there something that I should be on the lookout for in a training course? Is it worth it to learn BacNet or LonMark or just become familiar with the end user softwares?

Does anyone have a good website or book that I can refer to?

I know that this is broad, but bear with me...

JBW

Comments

• JBW_2
    HELP!??

Looking for some kind of response to my question...
  • Brad White_9
    Brad White_9 Member Posts: 2,440
    Patience, Grasshoppa... Yesterday was Sunday :)

LonWorks is (or was) a subdivision of Motorola and is a different breed than most BACNet protocols. Still, they had published a good book on control theory which may apply well to the broader goals. LonWorks ("LonMark") has each device fitted with a "neuron chip", a stand-alone identity and instruction device; the application in general is more suited to smaller systems within a single building but can be extrapolated. Because there is an "in-series" loop architecture, response times seem to drag with larger systems of my experience. Perhaps this has been improved. It has it's place certainly and nothing bad to say about it. Just know the limitations, true of anything.

John Siegenthaler (Siggy) has a site, hydronicpros.com, with an on-line bookstore with some good books on controls practicum and theory that I have found useful.

http://hydronicpros.com/publications.php

Fundamentals of HVAC Direct Digital Control, Practical Applications and Design, 2E
    Authors: Frank Shapdour, P.E.
    © Copyright 2000

Engineering Manual of Automatic Control for Commercial Buildings, 6th edition
    Authors: Honeywell
    © Copyright 1997 (518 pages hard cover)
    ISBN 0-8273-7948-X

All manufacturer's of note have publications and training manuals. Whether they are publicly available is another matter. Certainly if you become a vendor for one, training can be expected.

My personal favorite for open protocol is Automated Logic in or near Atlanta, GA. Very accomodating and thoughtful approaches.

Essentially with DDC, if you can think it, it can be done.

Good Luck!

Brad
  • Josh_10
    Josh_10 Member Posts: 787

A couple of books that helped me out are "Industrial Electronics" by Thomas E. Kissel and "ABC's of PLC's". Not sure who wrote the second one buy I am sure you can google it.

These aren't specific to what you are looking for but they will give you a foundation in controls.
  • JBW_2

thanks all.
    Really appreciate the help.
    Have you guys heard of Distech?

JBW
  • Brad White
    Brad White Member Posts: 2,399
    Distech

All I know is that they are a Canadian firm and show up as OEM controls on some packaged equipment also from Canada that I have seen. Not a limitation, just what I have seen.

I really know nothing more about them but now I suspect that I will :)
    "If you do not know the answer, say, "I do not know the answer", and you will be correct!"

-Ernie White, my Dad
  • JBW_2

I dont really know much about them either, just have seen a lot of their 'easy controls' around town.
  • rich pickering
    rich pickering Member Posts: 277

Josh, go over to hvac-talk and look at their controls board. Lots of hard-core controls guys hang there.
  • mtfallsmikey
    mtfallsmikey Member Posts: 765
    Thanks Brad!

your comments got me to thinking...I'm using Tracer Summit in my 2 buildings, one building's system has 2 WSHP's that lose the neuron ID during power loss, and will not "reload" (right term?. My Tech has to reassign it when he comes to fix it. Anyway, thanks again for the lesson!
This discussion has been closed.