Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Chimney Liner

call a certified chimney sweep...they can tell you if you need one and give you a price....kpc

<A HREF="http://www.heatinghelp.com/getListed.cfm?id=323&Step=30">To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"</A>

Comments

• Matt_46
    Matt_46 Member Posts: 5
    Chimney Liner

How can I tell if my chimney has a liner installed. I looked at it and it appears to have the orange block inside....and also some tube....Is this the liner needed for a high efficiency boiler?
  • Ken D.
    Ken D. Member Posts: 836
    Chimney

If you see orange block, it probably is the terra-cotta lining. This is not suitable for high efficiency units. A stainless steel lining would go completely from top to bottom and you would be able to see it. It should not be piece-meal. Otherwise the best way to tell is go up on the roof and check. That is a dangerous job and best left to the pros. Do not attempt it yourself. Also, many high efficiency units use plastic pipe.
  • Rich Kontny_3
    Rich Kontny_3 Member Posts: 562
    Liner

There is the seven times rule which comes into effect if you plan on using an intact terra cotta flue for conventional atmospheric venting:

Example: inside flue 12 x 8 = 96 sq. inches flue area

4" round discharge from appliance = 3.14 x radius squared or 3.14 x 4 = 12.56 sq. inches of area

96/12.56= 7.64 This exceeds the seven times rule and therefore is too large of a flue that can create a backflow condition due to the flue not warming up enough to convect out the combustion byproducts.A liner would have to be installed even if the flue liner is in good condition.

You need a professional to check out all the variables otherwise you could create potentially hazardous condition!

Rich Kontny
  • JackFre
    JackFre Member Posts: 225
    Terra cotta

chimney liners are not suitable for a high efficiency heating appliance. Is it oil or gas. How tall is the chimney. How long a run from the appliance to the chimney. Whatever heating equipment you are installing, install a new metal liner. For todays heating equipment, a chimney is an excellent architectural device but a very poor mechanical device.

Be aware that there is a world of mischief masons have created with terra cotta liners. Sometimes there is a section of liner installed at the bottom and one at the top to "simulate" a chimney liner. When I bought my home I was stunned when I got on the roof and saw that the mason had taken rectangular tiles and "criss-crossed" them one atop the other.

If it is oil, line it or power vent it. If it is gas, go condensing and eliminate the chimney
This discussion has been closed.