Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Steve Yzerman

John R. Hall
John R. Hall Member Posts: 2,245
I watched the retirement of Steve Yzerman's #19 Detroit Red Wing jersey last night. I made sure my 13-year-old son watched it, too. I told him he is unlikely to see another player like Yzerman in his lifetime. Here is a guy who played all 22 years of his professional career in a Red Wing jersey, the last 20 as the captain. Scotty Bowman said he never knew a player with a greater threshold for pain than Stevie. Here was a guy who literally hobbled up a set of steps to ice level and then played his butt off.

I wanted my son to know what humility is all about. Yzerman deflected all accolades of his greatness to his teammates and coaches. He was the most humble professional athlete I have ever seen in my 53 years. He simply went to work each game, put it all out on the ice, and then went home to be with his wife and three daughters.

I would like all kids to read about Stevie and understand the REAL way to act like an athlete. He was a role model who gave back to the community -- usually helping sick children after the media had left the room and couldn't report on his generosity.

The ultimate compliment was how highly his peers and former competitors talked of him. They had nothing but good things to say about Stevie and had the utmost respect for him.

In two words: CLASS ACT.

Comments

• Reed
    Reed Member Posts: 56
    I second that

Steve Yzerman is a class act and a great role model and a gentleman. I,ve been a hockey fan for a long time and have yet to see his match as a pro and a humanbeing in the game.
  • Steverino
    Steverino Member Posts: 140
    Stevie Y

Watched him since he was drafted. We, uh...the Red Wings, were very fortunate to have watched him for the last 20+ years. Three Stanley Cups during his reign!
This discussion has been closed.