Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Steam to Force hot water

George_26
George_26 Member Posts: 12
Thanks for all the replys.I have completly installed a few FHW's myself, they were not a problem as I do alot of plumbing. Personally I like the idea of steam however I'm not sure what's out there to run lines upstairs for small rooms less than a 120 sq ft each. They are not looking to cut holes in a ceiling. It's their decision in any case. Money is real tight for a young couple that just closed on a house so we were hopeing to do most if not all the work ourselves, but it would be inspected

Comments

• George_26
    George_26 Member Posts: 12
    Converting from steam to FHW

This will be the last year for my daughters boiler. She has an Slint Fin steam boiler. They are considering replacing everthing and going to FHW. Shoud they do a heat loss calculation or just replace with the same size. Are there any reasons not to convert to FHW? I should mention one of the reasons for them to go to FHW is the ease to supply heat upstairs in two bedrooms which is electric heat now. Is there a big increase in cost to have a boiler to supply hot water too?
  • kevin coppinger_4
    kevin coppinger_4 Member Posts: 2,124
    ya' know...

it it were my place I would do what I could to save the steam part of the system. I would add hot water offf the steam boiler to heat the upstairs and also use the boiler to heat my hot water...Check out the new Burham Mega steam boiler...kpc

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Dave Yates (PAH)
    Dave Yates (PAH) Member Posts: 2,162
    heat loss

If they want to switch to FHW, a heat loss calc is the only way to get an accurate assessment for sizing and to know how much heat emitter you (they'll) need per each room. Steam systems are often oversized by a wide margin and the home may have seen some energy upgrades (like insulation or windows) that will lower its heat loss characteristics. A good hydronics contractor will know to look for these types of changes and will ask lots of questions.
  • Christian Egli_2
    Christian Egli_2 Member Posts: 812
    In 2007, steam is still for space age heat

First thought, you say you want to change everything, do you really mean everything beyond the boiler, that's the pipes, the valves, and the radiators themselves? Technically, that's the only way to go for a hot water conversion, it's very expensive and brings no benefits you can't get by just sticking with steam and mild maintenance.

So, if you've read between the lines, sticking with a new steam boiler is the best thing to do, along with a nice system wide tune up and perhaps new control. All this is easy, requires no patch on work and yields big rewards with totally silent heat that is rapid, effective and economical.

For added benefit, you can next install thermostatic valves and even programmable thermostatic valves. Space age stuff.

Meanwhile, you're adding heat to the upper floors.

Why not add them in steam? Steam pipes are the easiest thing to go with, one pipe steam is particularly unobtrusive, just one pipe, no pumps, no wiring, no zone valves, no mixing scheme, no noise, no electric demands, no water expansion tank, in short, no problem. :)

As far as heat loss calculations are concerned, it's the same old measure twice, replace once rule. It's always best to know where you're going before you get there. Even if it spoils the surprise.

Best wishes for a new year filled with happy moments.
  • Steamhead (in transit)
    Steamhead (in transit) Member Posts: 6,688
    If their contractor is pushing a hot-water conversion

and wants to use the existing piping, he is taking an incredible risk that it will develop leaks. Hot-water runs at a minimum of 10 pounds more than steam. I've seen enough disasters of this type, my company does not recommend or perform this type of conversion and will not work on a system someone else has converted unless we change it back to steam.

If the contractor is pushing a complete tear-out, he sees dollar signs. This is incredibly labor intensive and they will pay dearly for it. Not to mention it is incredibly disruptive to the house.

Either way, the contractor doesn't know steam. Find someone who does. When properly set up, steam is just as comfortable and appriaches the efficiency of hot-water. And it won't freeze up in a power or fuel failure like hot-water can.

And as Christian says, adding one-pipe steam rads to those unheated rooms is the easiest way to do it. How do I know this? Because I've done it!

Keep the steam!

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Jim Pompetti
    Jim Pompetti Member Posts: 552
    Steamheads

• Jim Pompetti
    Jim Pompetti Member Posts: 552
    Steamhead is right

Just add one pipe steam rads to the second floor . Easiest and most economical way to go .
  • Ken L.
    Ken L. Member Posts: 35
    adding steam heat upstairs

I had a similar situation. My boiler had to be replaced and I wanted to add heat upstairs. I had the boiler replaced, the only contractors considered were the ones that would add steam heat. They added two extra pipes (risers), one for upstairs, another for future use.

Go for the steam heat. Used radiators can be found easily and if you shop around inexpensively. Why fix what ain't broke?

Alternately, another plumber suggested a steam boiler with tankless hot water heater for a two zone system.
  • Steamhead (in transit)
    Steamhead (in transit) Member Posts: 6,688
    They'd have to run pipes

for either system. With one-pipe steam, they would need only one pipe per radiator. These black steel pipes could be hidden in the walls or left exposed, depending on the house's structure. Especially if money is tight, this is the best way to go.

The next step for you is to get a copy of Dan's book "The Lost Art of Steam Heating" which has all the info you will need to add radiators to that system.

What's wrong with their boiler?

This discussion has been closed.