Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Why do we still allow this technology to exist?? (ME)

RonWHC
RonWHC Member Posts: 232
we pay more, for the heater, to a supplier who sets the new heater in the boiler room. And. For $15.00 more, hauls the old tank away.

Most of the 80% (?) heaters we replace are because the building owner can't afford the down time between old heater failure & hot water back on the building. Still not much thought about planning ahead to replace the dinosaur w/ a more efficient unit.

Even when there is time, most of the plumbers in our area quote the same old tanks. And tell owners the same horror stories about the more efficient equipment they have been relating for 10 years. Then again, some of their logic (think Voyager) rings true.

Comments

• Cleaning out my home office...

and came across some old photographs from a former life of a stand alone gas fired storage tank we replaced with a CFT boiler/storage tank combination.

The very first one we replaced on this complex nearly cost me my life. We were using a conventional appliance dollie to man handle the tank down the stairs of the complex. Just as we let the tank down the first step, the whole stair step failed, and the tank and dollie ended up in the basement, three floors down from where we started from on the top floor. Did a LOT of structural damage, but fortunately no one (Thank God) got hurt. We had fore warned the property manager about this potential. On every replacement on this complex after that one, we hired a crane to take it out of the building through a roof hatch. The extra $500.00 was nothing compared to the laundry bill of having to clean everyones underwear after the first one finally came to a hault in the basement...

And they STILL make these things...

ME
  • Scott Kneeland
    Scott Kneeland Member Posts: 158
    electric hand trucks

I still can't believe thatstill don't have electric hand trucks. I see guys at our local NAOHSM meetings that complain about how much we pay for workers comp insurance and how hard they work getting some of these old smudge pots out of a basement. They put chrome wheels on an oil truck but can't buy the safety equipment needed. I'm a business owner and to me it's a no brainer companies .

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Scott Kneeland
    Scott Kneeland Member Posts: 158

Sorry for the errors I did a cut and paste and missed some words.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
This discussion has been closed.