Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Oil Fired Boilers

Jim_109
Jim_109 Member Posts: 45
I am considering upgrading my boiler with coil to an efficient 3-pass design (about 87% AFUE) and 40 gallon indirect. Burnham, Buderus, Crown etc. Any comments/recommendations about the boiler brands?

Any recommended formulas for calculating the proper size boiler? I have a small cape with cast iron radiators on the main floor and Slant Finns on the second.

According to one manufacturer's formula, my home's heat loss is about 50,000 BTUs.

Comments

• Ted_9
    Ted_9 Member Posts: 1,718
    boilers are great but...

system efficiency is better. Three pass design great. 86 % great. But heating with high water temps won't save on fuel or add comfort. Look for a set up and incorporate out door reset.

Massachusetts

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • J.C.A._3
    J.C.A._3 Member Posts: 2,980
    Jim,

I agree with Ted, but will add...Use the Find A Professional link on the top of this page. Get a true heatloss and incorporate an indirect water heater.

The pro will recommend the proper boiler and burner combination to suit your situation. (I like that you are thinking 3 pass. It would be MY choice for oil also) They will also be able to give you the good-better and best control stradegy for your particular needs.

If you are considering any additions or upgrades in the future, let it be known when they are sizing your new system, and save yourself the trouble of worrying about it later. Good luck. Chris

• I also agree with Ted, OR you could go no outdoor reset with System 2000. A boiler is most efficient when its not running.

Buderus or Viessmann with Outdoor reset
    or
    System 2000

Those would be my recomendations

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Ted's right

Heating with the same high temp water in itself won't save on the oil bill .

But upgrading from an old , usually oversized boiler with a coil , to a new properly sized 3 pass with an indirect will .

How much savings is always just a guess , but 20 to 30 percent or more compared to an old clunker can be achieved . Add outdoor reset like Ted said , and the savings can be increased more .

We have had great success using the Burnham MPO and the Buderus boilers . Both can handle lower water temps if you choose to incorporate outdoor reset .
This discussion has been closed.