Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Freaky Weather

jp_2
jp_2 Member Posts: 1,935
wait til theres some ice to play with

Comments

• Mike T., Swampeast MO
    Mike T., Swampeast MO Member Posts: 6,928

I have an ornamental cherry tree blooming! Goldfish are at the top of the pond wanting food. Pond about 4' deep and they usually stay at the bottom all winter.

Currently 56° and raining.
  • J.C.A._3
    J.C.A._3 Member Posts: 2,980
    Warm And Balmy....

Here on the Gold Coast today. I was working across the street from Gloucester harbor all day. The wind was blowing pretty good, but it had the feel of spring, with a touch of humidity included. The temp. on the way home was a very freakish 63°.

We'll pay for this I'm sure. April will be the snowiest on record! Chris
  • Jamie_6
    Jamie_6 Member Posts: 710

I hear ya.

Tomorrow's high is 71 degrees. That's atleast 30 degrees above normal.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Jamie_6
    Jamie_6 Member Posts: 710

• ALH_4
    ALH_4 Member Posts: 1,790
    too warm

It's 32 and sunny here right now. Doesnt bode too well for ice fishing at Fort Peck Reservoir next week. Almost need a boat.
  • S Ebels
    S Ebels Member Posts: 2,322
    It's strange

Unseasonably warm here in Michigan too. Currently 45* which is about 25*-30* above normal for this time of year. I have dandelions blossoming in my yard and the iris in my flower garden are showing about 6-8" of new growth. They think it's spring. There are still caterpillars crawling around for Pete's sake!

The rocket scientist weather guys on Accuweather.com say the jet stream is going to drop to normal position about the 15th of this month. Their two week forecast shows a high in the low teens and zero or below at night. We'll see......
  • Dave_4
    Dave_4 Member Posts: 1,405
    52 in Toronto - Bizarre!

• GMcD
    GMcD Member Posts: 477
    Freezing rain and slush

Here in Lotusland (Vancouver, BC), and our air supported stadium roof collapsed this afternoon (BC Place Stadium), Streets are a skating rink, the usual winter mayhem here.
  • Singh_5
    Singh_5 Member Posts: 41
    NY

58* warm, and raininig in the Hudson Valley today.
    Tomorrow record temps in the 60*
    December was the first time in 129 years no snow in our area.
    February is going to be brutal, or maybe not .................

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Brad White_167
    Brad White_167 Member Posts: 12
    63 today in Boston

just as Chris said.

58F now. I am almost thinking of taking the kayak out in Boston Harbor.

Life is good.
  • Bill Nye_2
    Bill Nye_2 Member Posts: 538
    Ct weather

Norwich-New London CT. 55° right now, drizzle/fog.

It is the 28th consecutive day of above average temperatures. It is great for my oil tank. Not too good for my employer, I work for a fuel oil dealer.

Tomorrow is supposed to get to 60°
  • J.C.A._3
    A KYAK in Boston Harbor?

What B@!!$ you have !

Up the Charles would be my pick. Work your way up...glide back down. The water temps are STILL in the upper 40° range...25-30 minutes before hypothermia sets in. On the river...you got a chance. In the harbor, well lets just say that I hope your a strong swimmer. Things occur, don't be a statistic Brad.

Chris
  • Mark Hunt
    Mark Hunt Member Posts: 4,908
    In some places

people in Kayaks are considered "chum".....

Happy Kayaking Brad!!

Mark H

• brucewo1b
    brucewo1b Member Posts: 638
    Not too many years ago anything that floated

on Boston Harbba was called scum not chum, even those sharks were afraid to enter. Brad what ever happened to that Govna of yours that took the plunge a few years back haven't heard much from him since.
  • Brad White_167
    Thanks for the concern, Chris

but I never go out unless prepared for a full immersion. This means a drysuit in this weather and at these water temperatures. I take a paddle float, PFD and a buddy if I can. No EPIRB though, for it will get wet :)

I may yet not go (rarely solo) but it sure is tempting.

I used to go all year round regularly; Sakonnet River in RI (East Narraganset Bay by Mount Hope Bay) in winter has harbor seals popping up to check you out. Truly See Level. :)
  • Brad White_167
    Our Poly-Ticians in the Water...

Let's see, Bruce. Weld took a dive in the Charles (I was there too). Dukakis had the harbor poured down his pants by GHWB in 1988, Ted K. had a little car trouble in water (and ran his boat aground in a reverse of fate). So, not sure which one you might mean :)
  • Weezbo
    Weezbo Member Posts: 6,232
    Real strange 30 below *~/;)

like looking into a fog with a bucket of Yogurt over your head :))

When the Vitolas arrived while the painter was priming and painting the bay,the carpenter Ladds snatched the garage door down so the delivery truck could down load its cargo..

one could not see a blinking thing with the moisture in the air :)it was beautiful...the painter ,James , said he would paint the Boilers for me *~/:) wWhatta Guy! :) Any colour i wanted as long as it was White :) seems he has a lot of white paint on hand:)
  • scott w.
    scott w. Member Posts: 209
    el nino

Heard on the radio the other night that its another warm spot in the Pacific ocean that has affected (effected)?? the jet stream. The west coast nad pacific nothe west are getting loads of precip while us lucky folks in the eastern half of the country get balmy temps. Who would have thunk it a week of 50's and 60's in January.
  • Dave_4
    Dave_4 Member Posts: 1,405
    Not lucky for all

Ontario has a clustering of ski resorts on the south end of Georgian Bay off Lake Huron and they typically get major snow there throughout the winter which helps make up for the lack of vertical... long story short - 1500 indefinite layoffs announced tonight - no snow.
  • Darin Cook_6
    Darin Cook_6 Member Posts: 41
    Brad

You would save yourself alot of trouble and effort if you just take one of those "duck" boats on the Charles river. That way you can still drink a beer while cruising the river, plus you can pull into the Museum of Science for some schoolin !!!!

TSGT Darin Cook
    Air Expeditionary Forces
    Iraq
  • brucewo1b
    brucewo1b Member Posts: 638
    One thing about warm weather and

rain, it makes for easy shoveling, natures snow melt.
  • In Colorado...

In Denver specifically, we've gotten hammered every Friday for the last three with snow storms. ANd their long term (week) forecast is predicting the same next Friday. To date, we have gotten 30" of snow in 3 weeks. The average for Denver is 60" per year and the snowy season hasn't even hit yet. OK, maybe its NOT global WARMING, but global CHANGES we're experiencing...

Just say SNOW...

Tired of shoveling, running out of places to put it. Gonna force me to start melting more of it...

ME
  • J.C.A._3
    Okay Boys (and girls!),

It has reached 66° today on the Gold Coast. We've beaten the record by 4° already at 1:00 P.M.

Why am I posting this at this time...on such a wonderful day? My alergy medicine ran out and I'm so stuffed up that I'm afraid to drive! (Mold = #1 on the hit parade)

I saw a couple of Crocus' coming up in the front of the building. I think everyone and everything is really confused.

Good luck ME. I wish I could ship some of this out there for your melting. I have a strange feeling that we're REALLY gonna pay for this. Global "change", indeed! Chris
  • S Ebels
    Never did this before

I just mowed my lawn. Temp is dropping though, now in the upper 30's a a little fuzz in the air.

The largest winter festival in Michigan, Tip Up Town, held on Houghton Lake is a virtual bust this year. No snow for sking, no ice for the snowmobile drags or the ice fishing contest. Hotels are laying off staff like there's no tomorrow, which very well may be true for some of them.
  • jp_2
    maybe not so freaky

steve this is a snow total graph from 1884 -2002.

as you can see there has been several years under 100 inches.

a general trend has been in increasing snow but as you approach 2002 the trend is decreasing again.

hard to say what really goes on in 1,ooo year cycles.
  • S Ebels
    What location is that for?

We've had snow this year, in fact we had a couple of snowstorms that left between 8-14". The thing that's different this year is that it doesn't stay. So far, after we get some white stuff, the temp goes back up into the 40-50* range and it all melts. That's the unusual thing.
  • jp_2
    keweenaw area

we had rain lately too, first time i've seen rain pasted nov.
    but thats only 12 yrs experience.
  • J.C.A._3
    3:00.....

and tipping the scales at 68° here.

It feels like a late day in June...humidity and all.

Windows open and I swear the A/C was on in the supermarket earlier today! Mint Juleps all around ! Chris
  • Mark Hunt
    Mark Hunt Member Posts: 4,908
    Hit 70 here today

My son and I went fishing.

Clouds rolled in and the temp dropped REAL quick. Highs in the 40's next week and snow by the end of the week.

Mark H

• Andy Byrnes
    Andy Byrnes Member Posts: 42

Around 50 during the day here in the UK kinda strange for us too. We have not had our first real frost yet. Still busy at work though which is good I suppose.

Andy
  • Ted Robinson
    Ted Robinson Member Posts: 126
    Warm day in NY City

I saw 69 degrees, near the Ocean, too.

Zero snow so far.
  • Perry_3
    Perry_3 Member Posts: 498
    I've taken advantage of it...

Today I had a guy come out and look over what can be done with my yard... (lets just say that it ain't pretty - and has been the neighborhoods worst lawn since before I moved in 6 years ago).

I had been delaying doing anything becasue I was looking to convert to geothermal. I figured that when they drilled a bunch of well holes in the backyard for that - that then would be the time to fix the yard.

Only problem was... gee wiz... the geothermal people would not go above 120F water temps, and I need that.

So now that the Vitodens is in... It's time to do something with the yard.

I'm probably just going to tear it all out and start over. Even the "large" shrubs (that are probably original to the house - and getting "oversized").

But, this way - without the normal 1 to 2 ft of snow on the ground I get a jump on the project becasue the lawn guy can see the condition of my lawn now.

He was kind - and did say that he has seen worse...; but did agree that the only way to fix the back yard was to tear it out and start over, and that while the front yard was not as bad that it needed enough work that it would be just as economical to rip it out as well as long as the skid loader would be onsite anyway. This would also produce a uniform lawn front to back.

So I will have a quote in a week or so and can consider new shrubery / flower box options.

Perry

• Rudy
    Rudy Member Posts: 482
    Ice fishing on Fort Peck - wow

Brings back memories!! My Dad was stationed at Glasgow AFB in the mid 60's, used to go to Fort Peck fishing alot!!
This discussion has been closed.