Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

FWL

Ted_9
Ted_9 Member Posts: 1,718
Massachusetts

<A HREF="http://www.heatinghelp.com/getListed.cfm?id=373&Step=30">To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"</A>

Comments

• John S.
    John S. Member Posts: 260
    FWL installation

Hi Wallies!

My first post of the new year. Happy New Year to all!

Must a FWL be equalized directly to the steam header or would a close take-off be sufficient?

Thanks.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Ken_40
    Ken_40 Member Posts: 1,320
    NO

Not to the header, to the equalizer pipe.

It's all in the return, not the supply riser/header.

Take a look at Holohan's LAOSH, page 28-31. It should never be tried with high (above 2#) boiler pressure either.
  • John S

I`m pretty dumb, what does "bump" mean here?

Dave
  • Ken_40
    Ken_40 Member Posts: 1,320
    It means...

The author of a post wishes to have the post jump back up near the top of the order.

Since the most recent posts appear at or near the top of "The Wall," One "bumps" the entire thread back to the top of the site, by posting anything. If that person has nothing to add, or write, he simply inserts the word "bump."
    Which does what is intended, bumps the entire thread back to the top of the heap.
  • Christian Egli_2
    Christian Egli_2 Member Posts: 812
    Three reasons for today, the day of the three kings

Follow the star with your false water line

Venting the top side of the inverted U trap of the false water line depends on what sort of returns you’ve got. If it’s a return on a pumped system with radiator traps, then venting the inverted U to the sky is the simplest. I suspect we’re talking about one pipe, and so venting has to be kept internally - except if you promise to keep the pressure low low low, then you can still simply open the U branch to the atmosphere, but you need to provide B stacking height on both sides of the U. Draining side to the boiler, this is probably easy, but drained side along the wet return, this is probably a recipe for hiccups, because B height stack up real quick, way more than 2 feet per PSI, and check valves do not shrink this altitude at all.

There is nothing magic about what this venting line does, it pops the air pocket that would otherwise form in your beautiful inverted U arrangement - the exact same way this needs to be taken care of at the Hartford loop with any kind of equalizer connection. Big words that are not very descriptive of the simple problems encountered everyday in sewer lines. Those air pocket are real party poopers.

In sewer lines, any plausible upside down U pocket gets connected to the roof. In your one pipe false water line, the piped link has to carry away the stalled air, anywhere it can. That’s to the steam main, any of the risers dipping into the wet return or any part of the boiler’s steam side, this way, there is no B dimension to worry about. The direction is up, and pipe this line with all the pitch customary to steam and avoid all the air pockets and condensate puddles.

Also, it’s not important to bring live steam all the way to the false water line - just like with Hartford loops - it does not matter if there is an air bound slug stuck along the equalizer line, as long as it can move. Pressure affects all gases, steam and air the same way. (This I notice from equalizer lines not getting steam hot, at least not at the speed of the header; why? there’s a wad of air stuffed down in them that has no where to escape, and that’s jut fine)

As if this epiphany isn’t confusing enough, there is a second critical feature of the equalizer line to both the Hartford loop and the false line. The line has to break any vacuum forming in that inverted loop, just like we install air gaps in dish washer lines. You wouldn’t want the wet return to siphon itself dry.

Let’s see, gold, frankincense and myrrh, that’s three; the third purpose of the equalizer line is to drain whatever condensate may come down it’s way. In the case of the equalizer piped as a drain to the header, it carries all the header juice, and so size matters.

I hope you’ve had a cool load of cakes and bread on this 6th January and that the little Mexican kids got their Christmas gifts today (a whole month after the little Dutch kids, bummer). Any excuse for cakes and doughnuts is good for me. :)

John, will you have any pictures of this? your last boiler was a pleasure to look at.
  • Thanks

for telling me Ken,,,,,,,now I know!

Dave (the Lad)
This discussion has been closed.