Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Possible Aquastat problem

Leo
Leo Member Posts: 770
There are some boilers that are worse than others. If this is a pin type boiler it will stay much cleaner running between 120-130 degrees. The Peerless JOT, Weil Mclain, and HB Smnith Series are a few that come to mind. I service oil boilers and the cold ones are very crusty and tought to clean, the warm ones are much better.

Leo

Comments

• Ed_43
    Ed_43 Member Posts: 4
    Honeywell 8148E

Recently had to have the power ventilator replaced on my boiler. The technician believes that my boiler should be maintaining some constant temperature (say 130 - 160 degrees) without a call for heat and when the thermostat calls for heat it helps pump the water up to the radiators. As it stands, unless the thermostat calls for heat, the boiler temperatures stays at ambient (70 degrees) and when the thermostat calls for it, the circulator comes on, the power ventilator comes on, and the boiler comes on heating up to 160 where it cycles until heat is no longer needed and then shuts off.
    I have Honeywell 8148E aquastat (and two heat zones). From what I can tell my boiler has always acted the way it currently does. Should the boiler temp cycle between a high and low limit to maintain a temperature even if there is no call for heat. Any info would be great. Thanks.
  • lee_7
    lee_7 Member Posts: 457

Do you use this boiler for domestic hot water?
  • TK03
    TK03 Member Posts: 54

Never maintain temperature on a boiler unless there is a hot water coil mounted in the boiler. If there is an indirect tank for domestic use, still do not mainatin water temp in the boiler. Manufacturers build boilers for cold start which are used as cold start in all the cold areas like Alaska, UP of Michigan, northern Wisconsin and Minnesota.
  • Chris_82
    Chris_82 Member Posts: 321
    Teledyne

Don't forget about the mini therms, Ed do you have a mini therm?
  • Ed_43

No - heating only
  • Ed_43

Vailant GA 92 series gas fired hot water heating boiler
  • Ed_43

Not to my knowledge
This discussion has been closed.