Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Finding a leak in a 600,000 gallon pond?

Mad Dog_2
Mad Dog_2 Member Posts: 7,379
My friend Dennis The Mechanic has a large man-made pond that is losing water. He asked me if I knew of any dyes to help in his leak location....something non-toxic and in a large enough quantity. His next question was plugging the leak. Its a rock and dirt bottomed-pond. packing the bottom with clay - perhaps?????? Need input. Thanks in advance. Mad Dog

<A HREF="http://www.heatinghelp.com/getListed.cfm?id=210&Step=30">To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"</A>

Comments

• one thing

Bentonite

Had the same problem with our pond about 52 years ago.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Mike T., Swampeast MO
    Mike T., Swampeast MO Member Posts: 6,928

Bentonite was used to plug this leak into a local limestone quarry. Scale is hard to judge in that photo as it was with a very long lens. Little cartoon truck is about right if you envision one step down from "mega machine".

Other photo shows a much wider view using a "normal" lens but still just a small section of the quarry. "Lake Cape" name comes from what it looked like would happen if the leak weren't stopped.
  • ALH_4
    ALH_4 Member Posts: 1,790
    lining

He might contact these guys or a local company with similar expertise to find the most cost effective method.
  • Dr Pepper
    Dr Pepper Member Posts: 38
    City of Chicago

Dies the Chicago River green every St.Patrics day. But what would the die tell you?
    Or, you could see about contacting that Dutch guy that posts everynow and then...;-)

• Dave_4
    Dave_4 Member Posts: 1,405
    Keep isolating...

He could first make sure it is the pond itself. Some ponds have aeration piping that goes to a pump room. Maybe first make sure it is the pond itself and not any external piping. If it is the piping - bonus!

I have no idea how deep this is but if he pumps out one foot each day or two and actively monitors the depth for any losses, then if the losses stop or dramatically slow down at a certain depth, then it would be on the perimeter somewhere and the whole pond won't need to be drained. I'd imagine this is pure Murphyville and the leak will be at the bottom but it may be worth a try.
This discussion has been closed.