Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Munchkin to replace Laars

jeb
jeb Member Posts: 46
<a href="http://www.laars.com/documents/heatsystems/2108C%20SV.pdf"target="_blank">LINK</a>

I have 2 Laars 9600HWG hooked up to 3 storage tanks. If you click on the link and look at page 9 thats what my setup is. One boiler has failed and I would like to replace it with a Munchkin VWH. When I look at the piping diagram for the Munchkin VWH I see one difference. The supply from the munchkin feeds the bottom port of the storage and the port above that feeds back to munchkin. The Laars is reverse. Does it matter?

Comments

• jeff lange
    jeff lange Member Posts: 8

Sounds okay.
  • jeff lange

Does anyone have a opinion?
    Thanks
  • Guy_6
    Guy_6 Member Posts: 450
    VWH

IF nothing has changed, the VWH Munchkin has constant circulation to the tank. Toward that end, the piping wouldn't make much difference in generating a standing tankful of hot water. My concern would be under extreme use, the tank may stratify, leaving consierably cooler water at the bottom causing thermal issues, like stress and sweating.
    If you are cutting out the existing boiler, why not just use the piping in reverse, per the Munchkin manual? It would seem (from here) fairly simple at the boiler side.
  • jeff lange

I have 2 boilers there and want to change only 1 thats why I wanted to leave the piping the same. Not sure if reversing the piping would affect the Laars.
    Thanks
    Pete
  • Guy_6
    Guy_6 Member Posts: 450
    tank

On the tank side, I don't really see how it can. The incoming hot water is actually used as a catalyst to heat the colder water on the bottom of the tank, so I would only see things working better.
    The constant circulation is something to keep in mind, as the Laars may not acclimate well to it depending on it's operating scheme. You can address that in the piping, so that the Laars stays more or less stable.
  • Kevin G_2
    Kevin G_2 Member Posts: 20

The Munchkin feeds the bottom of the tank so you are not getting any sediment laying on the bottom into the coils in the boiler. reversing the Larrs should not affect its operation. Larrs should be able to answer you better though.
    Kevin G
  • jeff lange

Thanks for everyones replies. Did anyone think using a Munchkin VWH is better then the Laars? Cost wise they are about the same.
This discussion has been closed.