Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Best DIY mod/con boiler?

S Ebels
S Ebels Member Posts: 2,322
There are no DIY boilers out there that I know of unless you are talking about one of the following circumstances.

A: You personally own and know how to operate a combustion analyzer. They all require a field check at minimum and adjustment most of the time with the exception of the Vitodens AFAIK.

B: You plan to install the piping, gasline, venting and wiring yourself and then have a qualified tech come to dial everything in.

No two installations are the same so it's tough to say which one would work best for you. My personal favorite is the Vitodens due to construction and the fact that it has very few "issues" to deal with down the road.

Tha's my two cents

Comments

• Al Roethlisberger
    Al Roethlisberger Member Posts: 194
    Best DIY mod/con boiler?

This was actually the question subject line I meant to ask in this thread:

http://forums.invision.net/Thread.cfm?CFApp=2&Thread_ID=43665&mc=10

=P

OK, before I get an earfull, I know that the question "best DIY friendly boiler" isn't the only or best question to consider.

And with that in mind, I certainly am considering a variety of other factors.

But one factor I would like to still investigate is what brand/model of mod/con has proven reliable, and has a good install package that reduces the chance of error.

For example, the Buderus GB142 comes with a premade manifold that simplifies some gotchas. So some examples like this may be helpful.

Al

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• MIke_Jonas
    MIke_Jonas Member Posts: 209

This is just my .02.. To me, boilers are similar to forced air furnaces in only one way.. no company makes a "BAD" one. You'll find customer satisfaction will depend on the installation. The installation will depend on the contractor, how he does business, who works for him, if anybody, the pride they take, etc., etc. I sell one main line of boilers. Does that, in my eyes, make others "bad" or unreliable? NO. This brand is what I am used to dealing with, the wholesaler and rep know me and are comfortable with me and the work that I do. So, if you want to do it yourself, how good are you? What experiences with installing any one line of boilers have you had? Warranty claims? Commissioning? How many installs?
    I guess the problem I have with your question is.. You are asking professionals what would be the best boiler for a homeowner to install...doesn't seem right. How would we know? I've read most of you posts and respect the detail you've put into this, more than most, but do you think any pro is going to tell you what boiler is best for you to install on your own? I'd like to know what the contractors' repsonse would be after you do an install and need someone to come out and fix it.
    Asking a diy question of professionals is like asking someone that has never driven a car before what car has the best brakes.
This discussion has been closed.