Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Clow GaSteam

Dave Stroman
Dave Stroman Member Posts: 766
Dave in Denver

There was an error rendering this rich post.

Comments

• ttekushan_3
    ttekushan_3 Member Posts: 960
    Let it Clow!

Check out my Christmas present!

OK, I bought it for myself, but the present part is that no one in the family is allowed to give me grief about it!

-Terry

Terry T

steam; proportioned minitube; trapless; jet pump return; vac vent. New Yorker CGS30C

• Jim Bennett
    Jim Bennett Member Posts: 607
    Hey Now!

One of the things I like about Christmas best is shopping for myself while shopping for the family. :)

Nice gift, If I found one of those near by I would grab it...

Then I'd have to find a place to put it. :(

Jim

• Lakota_2
    Lakota_2 Member Posts: 4
    Clow gasteam

Nice find I have one just like it Was giving to me just for disconnecting it and taking it out of his house Question Behind the first section toward the top is a valve of some sort vari-vent I think. with a 3/8 tapping Do you know what that is and what do I replace it with When fired up would'nt stop leakink steam tried to remove it and fell apart Billy
  • ttekushan_3
    3/8\" thingie

Good question. Mine has this too, as you said at the top of the first section. I thought, what's that? Looks like it'll leak. Apparently it will.

In my area I know where one is operating in an old studio space. Its a vented type that had been updated with a more modern gas valve/thermocouple set up. I'm going to try to get a look at it this coming week to see if: A) the vented clow in operation has it and B)if so, whats hooked to it.

-Terry

Terry T

steam; proportioned minitube; trapless; jet pump return; vac vent. New Yorker CGS30C

• Lakota_2
    ttekushan

Terry If it helps there is a small spring inside this thingie mabey its supposed to leak a little bit until pressure is built up. Who knows I don't My E mail addy is lakotaphi@yahoo.com Let me know if you get a look at the one near you Happy New Year to all
    Billy
  • Lakota_2
    ttekushan

Terry If it helps there is a small spring inside this thingie mabey its supposed to leak a little bit until pressure is built up. Who knows I don't My E mail addy is lakotaphi@yahoo.com Let me know if you get a look at the one near you Happy New Year to all
    Billy
  • ttekushan_3
    Will do.

The people who use the Clow in question should be around all this coming week...

-Terry

Terry T

• Long Beach Ed
    Long Beach Ed Member Posts: 1,238
    Terry...

I had a Clow but it scared the heck out of me and I got rid of it. When they build up about 5 pounds of steam, the pressure pushes on the aluminium plate in the regulator which reduces the gas flow to the burner, down firing the thing.

There is a regular steam vent on it, and a solder plug and a fill plug on the bottom. You fill it to the top of the fill plug. Clow's literature even suggested attaching other radiators to it and using it as a boiler.

The solder plug is your safety. Sounds like you have some type of delux spring loaded safety valve. If it leaks steam, the thing will run out of water, which wouldnt be good. You don't want to leak steam.

Now there is something inhearantly insane about taking apart and fiddling with safety valves on your kitchen table, but that's what I would do. I wouldn't mess with the spring, but I'd clean the seat and make sure it isn't fouled with mung. Then I'd figure out a way to test it with steam or water.

The Clow literature says they test the radiators to 100 psi before leaving the factory, so if you blow one up, Lord only knows how high the pressure will get before it launches through the ceiling.

Just be careful. When I messed with the regulator, the pressure built up FAST. As soon as water boils, in seconds, it climbed off the guage. The solder plug held to at least 150 lbs, before I could shut the gas.

I also didn't like the unvented nature of the burner, so you should check it for CO to make certain it's burning cleanly. I'd also use it in a well ventilated space and not in living space. We're all grownups here, but for what it's worth, this is one of the few old that I feared using and threw out.

I'm pretty nuts with this stuff, and loved the Clow, but it actually scared me. Tread carefully with this thing, give it lost of respect and have a healthy New Year.

Long Beach Ed
  • Killer Clows...

My good friend Matt Carr used to work at a wholesale plumbing outlet that had those to heat the offices. He almost killed his Boss (inadvertently) with CO.

As Ed said, DO NOT use it in a confined space, or you WILL wake up dead, and that is not a good way to start the day...

ME
  • I wouldn't use it at all

unless it could be hooked up to a regular steam system, and the gas train removed. The explosion hazard is one reason, and if the gas regulation goes bad it's possible for flames to shoot out of it and catch the building on fire. And since it's unvented, it might even be illegal in your area for that reason.

I have one of these too, but only for show.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • ttekushan_3
    Usefulness of Clow

Thanks everyone for your input.

I've seen a couple in service and they were vented units, with modern gas controls with pressure regulators. The original regulators are in place, but it appears they are running downfired to prevent over-pressure. Of course there's no way to know for sure. When I check out the operational units I'm quietly taking my analyzer with me.

I guess I should make a couple of points about my new Clow:

No way I'm not going to use this thing! Especially since I've had no time to install a steam heating system in the house:(

BUT:

I agree I'd be out of my mind to run it stock. No way.

1) Pull original regulator (its damaged anyway), mount plate in regulator opening, thread to mount pigtail for pressuretrol, gauge.

2) Install modern gas valve, thermocouple. Nothing fancy, standing pilot's fine for me. Operate on thermostat.

3) Fashion the square "cones" to collect flue gasses.

4) Vent.

I'll just live dangerously with no LWCO for now. Its never seemed to hurt them before... Although if the bottom of the regulator area is below the waterline, I'm thinkin' electronic LWCO.

-Terry

Terry T

• Christian Egli_2
    Christian Egli_2 Member Posts: 812
    Best wishes for a happy new rad

The necessary accessory to complement a Seinfeld DVD collection: the radiator.

Safety always being a relative thing, my first worries would go to CO and room oxygen depletion and the fire hazard, then only keeping warm. Personally, I find unvented gas fire places wholly unacceptable for home (bedroom and living room use). I'm not even so hot about side vented appliances that discharge their gasses at nose level; chimneys are so much more fascinating.

Are there Clow models both vented and unvented?

As it is, it could be a beautiful outdoor patio heater, for a Florida room for instance or for keeping warm when shoveling Cleveland snow. It's a beauty, cast iron is kind of rain proof and if you add antifreeze to the water content, it'll be cold weather proof. (Water / antifreeze mixes boil just fine)

Used outdoors, just like a barbecue machine, who even cares much about gas train control. A proper orifice is about all you'd need.

I suspect many of these Clow if they're still in operation, are running without water as it is. I don't think it's dramatic, there is no chance for hazardous cold water feed on a red hot boiler, it's just that the heat spread around the whole Clow won't be as even nor as efficient. The radiator should never melt down either because the fire is meant to heat the radiator only, no further, no matter what. At this point, it would become a simple gas heater like any modern wall furnace (but without the room air quality sensors)

I put all this together by sighting the rusty hot spot on the Clow itself. I've observed that on all of the few ones I've seen.

That's a neat collector's alley you have in the driveway with the radiator and the two 505.

Best wishes to you Terry and everyone else for a happy new year.
  • Steamhead (in transit)
    Steamhead (in transit) Member Posts: 6,688
    Later Clows

did come in a vented vesion. But they were more expensive to buy and install, therefore not as common.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Frenchie
    Frenchie Member Posts: 113
    Peugeot

Terry, I noticed the Peugeots in your driveway also! Great cars! I have had several. I currently own 2 Renaults. Not as fancy but I still like them.
  • ttekushan_3
    observant crowd

I didn't think anyone could notice the old Peugeot den with the lo res photos posted. I keep the last ones running since I favor the RWD turbo D sedans 'n' wagons. Comfortable workhorses.

When I get annoyed with this winter's utter lack of snow, I set this photo as my wallpaper and get over it in a hurry!

(winter of '04-'05):

Terry T

• Dave Stroman
    Dave Stroman Member Posts: 766

Here is a photo of a vented model.

Dave in Denver

This discussion has been closed.