Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Job jinxes

Ron I feel for ya bro! I replaced an amtrol boiler mate today with a superstore. Pre fabed my hot and cold risers on the tank, but when I made the final connection to the hot and cold lines to the mixing valve, I put the T on the hot side instead of the cold for some reason. All filled, hose away. Drained down, unsoldered the joints, fit the pipe together and filled. After everything heated and job was cleaned, and van was filled to the brim, a joint let go. I rarley get leaks but I felt like a first year on this job. One of those days...

<A HREF="http://www.heatinghelp.com/getListed.cfm?id=463&Step=30">To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"</A>

Comments

• Does this happen to anyone else ?

Why is it something always goes wrong when the tools needed are loaded in the truck ?

Had a simple 2 zone boiler today . Filled the system up , purged it cold , and let the zones run hot . Normally I always keep the acetylene B tank right there till the end . Because for some reason if you take it out , if you close the stem , if you pull the tip out , even if you roll up the hose ..... there WILL be a leak .

Well , I had that thought in my mind when I took the torch out prematurely . And yep , a sweat leak when everything was out . 1/2 hour fix when we were about to roll . I'd say we have a sweat leak one out of 10 or 15 jobs , most of the time when the torch is out . I know , I know , keep the torch there . But the helpers haul it out thinking we're done .

Is it coincidence ? Is it the Dead Men messing with us for thinking we're that good we can take the torch out before it's done ?
  • Brad White
    Brad White Member Posts: 2,399
    Phillips' Law, Ron...

You know the one.... You want a Phillips head screwdriver, EVERY screwdriver you grab becomes a straight one. And vice-versa.

Murphy was an optimist.
    "If you do not know the answer, say, "I do not know the answer", and you will be correct!"

-Ernie White, my Dad
  • Mike T., Swampeast MO
    Mike T., Swampeast MO Member Posts: 6,928
    Phillip's Law

Sometimes it becomes Torx's law...

Only screwdriver you can find where they're supposed to be are the Torx.
  • Hahaha , you're so right

I had to take the TV off the wall mount a few days ago . It needs a special hex tool with a hollow core . Couldn't find it anywhere in the house . And I KNOW I strapped it to the back of the TV .

Don't ask me how I got the TV down .....
  • Robert O'Brien
    Robert O'Brien Member Posts: 3,554
    Ron

You got that right! Never put the hose and pump away either!These leaks will always occur on those days you would like to get done early due to personal commitments. They will also always be in the worse possible spot and on monoflo jobs where every convector cover has 20 coats of paint and a piano in front of it!

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
  • jackchips_2
    jackchips_2 Member Posts: 1,337
    Sorry for

the problem Ron but you made my day.

I am not alone. Yes.

Even after thirty five years soldering joints I will NOT put the torch away or even turn it off until everything is under pressure.

Jack

• Dave_4
    Dave_4 Member Posts: 1,405
    Ron Jr

I've come to the conclusion that it might just be simple physics. Time really should have an opposite, right? If it does and the subconscious exists in opposite time, then dreams, premonitions, and jinxes are merely poor isolation. Ghost flows as it were.

I asked my pro if he was going to pressurize my boiler before hanging it. He told me they never leaked. When the system was almost fully filled, a threaded connection inside leaked. Again he told me they never had one leak. I believe him, but I'll bet he'll test next time! I cycle in the summers. I learned to never mention flats or forecasts.

I think it's probably best to have at least some superstitions. especially ones that get you home sooner! ;-)
  • Leo
    Leo Member Posts: 770
    When I was new

When I was new and being taught installs, I was taught to take the torch out last. I always tell new guys it is a superstition I was taught. Now I seldom do installs only repairs but if it is piping related the torch goes out last.

Leo
  • Rich Ferris
    Rich Ferris Member Posts: 72
    My Father had that superstition

Ron,

My Dad who was also in the business would never bring the torch out or shut it off until the system was at temp and everything else was complete. I too get mad if the torches are off and an un named (Southwick Steamer)helper brings the torch out to the truck. Never fails. Well good luck next time. Edit I meant his helper not Him. Hmmmm

rich
  • Ross_7
    Ross_7 Member Posts: 577
    Jinx! OH YEah!

I'm with ya, Ron! We always say don't even make a move towards picking up the tools, until the equipment is up & running. I swear the just know s that you're trying to make a move for the van. "Never let anything mechanical know you're in a hurry" My girlfriend thinks I'm overly superstitious, I call it being overly cautious from working in the trade! Good luck & watch out for any black cats.
    Ross
  • Brad White
    Brad White Member Posts: 2,399
    C'com, Ross

It's bad luck to be superstitious.

:)
    "If you do not know the answer, say, "I do not know the answer", and you will be correct!"

-Ernie White, my Dad
  • J.C.A._3
    J.C.A._3 Member Posts: 2,980
    I think....

Didn't Cream sing a song about "If it wasn't for bad luck...I wouldn't have no luck at all"? I bet that was listed as a blues standard.

We ALL feel that it is a "jinx", but the fact remains(and just give in and admit it....) we ain't purfuct ! Second thought is "Stuff Occurs". It REALLY does.

Dan's thoughts about working on Churches and/or for friends comes to mind. I thought I had that one licked a month back. It bit me in the hienney when the Church called back. I found a rotted return in another basement and the gallonage fed into the boiler 2 days later. Lessons learned.

It isn't just you Ron...we ALL have those days. Humbly, Chris
  • lund
    lund Member Posts: 25

Do not fire a system up on a friday afternoon. You will be back saturday night!

Lund
  • Paul Rohrs_4
    Paul Rohrs_4 Member Posts: 466
    JOB

Ron, I am ever humbled by the fact you do boiler change-outs in 1 day.

I started a job on Wednesday (1 hour away) and knew full well it was a two-day job. I pushed and tried to finish it in one day. Tools broke, didn't have the parts I needed, smoked a transformer, Cats and Dogs living together. It was anarchy.

I finished yesterday about 2pm. Again, never such a satisfying when I flip the switch and it purrs to life.

School of hard knock graduate.

Regards,

PR
  • Al Corelli_2
    Al Corelli_2 Member Posts: 395
    At least its just not me.

Last Friday, we did a Burnham V84 single zone water with a coil (no pics, they're at work) in one day.

New helper packs all the stuff out to the truck while I was wiring it. We pressurized against the supply and return valves and fired the boiler to give hot water right away.
    Did not notice that the torch was gone. As soon as I opened the supply to pressurize the system, I heard hissing at the return. After opening the return valve to get water to the leak, we found that SOMEONE tightened a 1"C X M adapter into an old 1" steam el a little too tightly and split the elbow.

"What fresh hell can this be", I thought. The I realised that the torch was gone. There we were, 5pm, trying to get the heck outta there, and the torch was in the truck.

I keep telling these guys that "you gotta work with Murphy, not against him."

No one listens, and I am doomed to repeat stuff I learned years ago. Is it OK to beat employees? Heck, it worked for my grandfather.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Robert O'Connor_12
    Robert O'Connor_12 Member Posts: 728
    Ron Jr.

I can't stop grinning!

It's not you Ron. It's a higher power.

And yes, it just IS!

Happy New Year.

Robert O'Connor/NJ
  • chapchap70_2
    chapchap70_2 Member Posts: 147

If it is early and the helper needs a couple of more hours pay for the day he...

Oh nevermind.
This discussion has been closed.