Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

weil mclain vs. peg-c steam boiler???

Jeff_66
Jeff_66 Member Posts: 43
Thanks for all your help with this decision! We want to do everything possible to make sure that our new boiler does not detiorate like the old one, so:

1. Is it worth investing in a water softener? (our city water is pretty hard). If so, do we need a high-end model?

2. How are chemicals used to raise the ph of the water in the boiler? How do I get the chemicals and how would I get them into the boiler?

Thanks again!

Comments

• Sheila
    Sheila Member Posts: 26
    weil mclain vs. peg-c steam boiler???

For those of you who have been tuning in to Jeff's posts regarding our defunct dunkirk steam boiler and our search for an appropriate replacement, here is the next installment (and thanks to those of you who have piped in - no pun intended).

We now have two quotes from two different local installers on a gas fired steam boiler. Both guys suggest a 300K btu boiler (we have approx 750 sq ft of radiation). One is giving us a quote on a PEG-C boiler and the other has given us a quote on a Weil McLain EG 75 boiler. The only difference we know of at this point is that the WM boiler does not come with a vent damper (which is a concern for us because we want the best energy efficiency possible). Are there any other things we should know about the quality etc. of these two boilers?

Thanks and happy holidays!
  • They're both

typical gas boilers with atmospheric burners. You can do a bit better efficiency-wise- ask about the Smith 8 series, which is not only a wet-base boiler that doesn't lose a lot of heat out the base, but also can be fired with either a gas or oil burner.

With this boiler, if your local unregulated gas monopoly jacks up gas rates unreasonably, you can kick them out and switch to oil without buying a new boiler. OK, you'd need an oil tank to do this too. But it would put the choice of what fuel to burn firmly in your hands, rather than the gas company's.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Al Corelli_2
    Al Corelli_2 Member Posts: 395

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Sheila
    price

The Smith 8 sounds good. How does it compare in terms of price to the PEG and the Weil McLain? Also, it doesn't seem to come with a damper - is this something that could be added on and would that be a good idea (we have one of those huge old chimneys from the 1800s and it currently has no liner)?

Thanks for all your help!
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 16,015

I would go with the Smith as well. Because it is not an atmospheric boiler the vent damper has less importance. Less heat loss through the stack on the off cycle.Wet base, better efficiency

ED
  • Sheila
    do we need a chimney liner?

We were told by one of the installers (who deals in the Weil McLain) that if we don't have a damper, there is less need for the chimney liner because the chimney will stay warmer and not sweat as much. Is this true? and if so,...is this true of the Smith 8 since it has a wet base?

Also, any info on the price of the Smith compared to atmospheric boilers would be appreciated. Thanks.
  • John Mills_5
    John Mills_5 Member Posts: 952
    No tile liner?

If this chimney is just brick & mortar with no tile liner, would seem to me code wants a liner be installed with any gas appliance.

Even on tile lined chimneys we've had a couple dampered boilers condense. But with no liner, sounds like just asking for damage from the moist flue products even without a damper.
  • Sheila
    nope...no liner

We do have an old brick and mortar chimney with no liner whatsoever (tile or steel).
  • jim_110
    jim_110 Member Posts: 24
    smith 8 series

Sheila if you are considering the HB Smith 8 series gas steam boiler which is called the G8 you better hurry. Smith is no longer making this model and once the existing stock is depleted it will no longer be available- just a heads up. Good Luck.
  • Figures

Wonder why? Too much pressure from gas utilities to eliminate the dual-fuel option?

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Sheila
    Can we turn a Weil McLain into a Smith???

We called the installer we have a little more confidence in and asked him about the Smith G8 boiler. He usually installs Weil McLain and wasn't thrilled about the idea of installing a different brand but said he would call the distributor and see. So, we are waiting for a call back about that.

Out of curiosity, does Weil McLain make a boiler that is not atmospheric? We would need a 300,000 BTU steam boiler. We live in a small town in upstate NY with few local installer options so I am afraid we may end up being limited by the options they like.
  • Sheila
    Can we turn a Weil McLain into a Smith???

We called the installer we have a little more confidence in and asked him about the Smith G8 boiler. He usually installs Weil McLain and wasn't thrilled about the idea of installing a different brand but said he would call the distributor and see. So, we are waiting for a call back about that.

Out of curiosity, does Weil McLain make a boiler that is not atmospheric? We would need a 300,000 BTU steam boiler. We live in a small town in upstate NY with few local installer options so I am afraid we may end up being limited by the options they like.
  • Al Letellier_9
    Al Letellier_9 Member Posts: 929
    W/M steamer

you can use a Weil Mclain SGO boiler with a Riello gas power burner with excellent results. Very efficient also.
    Why a 300MBH boiler with 750 sq ft?.....seems a little large to me.
  • Todd_19
    Todd_19 Member Posts: 2
    Upstate steam boiler

How far upstate are you?
  • Jeff_66
    Jeff_66 Member Posts: 43
    pretty far

Between Rochester and Syracuse.
  • that's upstate?

I see that u are located between the Rochester Americans and the Syracuse Crunch hockey teams...
  • Todd_19
    Todd_19 Member Posts: 2
    That is upstate

I thought you meant the upstate that starts at Tuckahoe Rd.
    (HaHa) Too far from me.
This discussion has been closed.