Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

While considering firing rates and combustion....

Weezbo
Weezbo Member Posts: 6,232
this study of a few years ago seemed to indicate that there were some combustion indiscrepencies involving damage to fire tubes due to unexpected chemical reactions with the use of low sulphur home heating oil...

this is our first year with the 015 low sulphur fuel oil. Anyone care to elaborate on what these unexpected chemical reactions might be?

Thanks. *~/:)

Comments

• Brad White
    Brad White Member Posts: 2,398
    Darned if I know....

Low sulphur to me means "less acid formation". I wonder what is up with that study?

My cynical side says, "was the study sponsored by folks who do not and cannot distribute low sulphur fuel?"

Unless something takes the place of sulphur, I have no idea why low sulphur fuel oil would be a bad thing.

Not to cast broadly, I just cannot see something good about sulphur in fuel oil.
    "If you do not know the answer, say, "I do not know the answer", and you will be correct!"

-Ernie White, my Dad
  • Dave_4
    Dave_4 Member Posts: 1,405
    low sulfur

Sulfur does nothing but cause problems. BUT the process by which the sulfur is removed causes new problems with regard to flow/gelling and lubricity.

So refiners have to put in additives. My understanding is that they can be synthetic or biofuel types.

With heating oil the flow issues are of primary concern and with older diesel autos both issues are of equal concern.

So whats in those additives? What is the spec of the final product? I dunno, but I'm guessing this is actually where the unexpected effects of low sulfur fuels is originating.
  • mtfallsmikey
    mtfallsmikey Member Posts: 765
    Maybe I'm wrong

But low-sulphur fuel oil is a blessing! Those of us who have been plying the trades for more than a couple of decades can witness to the havoc and corrosion that fuel oil used to wreak. I think today's oil burns much much cleaner than the "old" stuff did.
  • Fred Harwood_2
    Fred Harwood_2 Member Posts: 195
    Low sulfur

Sulfur burns, too. Removing it reduces the exothermic output of a fuel. Hence, additives, to keep up the thermal output. Some time may be needed to evaluate such changes, especially since manufacturers of existing equipment relied on, now obsolete, fuel specs. Also, the fuel spec politics may not have been run by those who have put diverse metals in the field at the exotic chemistry of flame-tip temperatures.
  • Glen
    Glen Member Posts: 855
    here is a link or two

lots of info on this site. He is only 100 clics east of me - but have not tried the bio in any of the vehicles. I have been thinking of doing a test of B50 for heating though.
    http://www.agri-greenbiodiesel.com/
  • Weezbo
    Weezbo Member Posts: 6,232
    Ok *~/:)

That's sorta where my thoughts meander...

we are going to clean up the environment by not using any more pesticides..instead, we are going to introduce this amazing new plant modification spun together in our Best Ag reasearch and plant disease center... Now , ... The Only problem is,...it cannot be eradicated, is poisoning the water ways, killing all other water based flora and fauna..no biggie..We Exported the technology For G.P.s :)
This discussion has been closed.