Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

What's wrong with my furnace??

Thanks. When you say AC motor, you not only mean the pump but the zone valve too?

Comments

• Steve Yakoban
    Steve Yakoban Member Posts: 4

We have a Weil-McLain gas fired H/W furnace for our 2 zone baseboard system. For about a month I've noticed arcing in the TV when the system kicks on. Of course as soon as I was away and left the wife alone the heat died. I got her to cycle one of the thermostats off and on and the heat fired. I thought it was the relay and told that to the plumber when we called him to come out.

He said it's hard to diagnose a working system, so he cleaned the contacts on the relay but said he thought the gas valve was the real culprit. It has worked fine since he cleaned the relay making me think that it is the relay. Since I'm back home, I've noticed that the arcing is only from one zone. Since both zones use only one relay, would that be the zone valve causing the arcing when it triggers?

He wants to come put in a gas valve but it seems like a waste to me. Is it the relay, the gas valve, or something else?

Thanks guys!
  • don_185
    don_185 Member Posts: 312
    If we knew that

we would not be here.

I would question if your boiler was on it own circuit being you mention something about your tv.

I would also be puzzle why I would attemp to clean a relay.However your plumber is there and would know better then anyone of us.

Anyway have him check for wiring tightness,polarity,all the
    thing one would do with a voltage drop.

Hope this helps.
  • J.C.A._3
    J.C.A._3 Member Posts: 2,980
    With your BOILER .

Not a furnace !(A furnace heats air...a boiler heats water) Please comfort us with the termination. It may not mean much to you, but it's a different world for us.(trust me!)

With these symptoms. I would be seeking out a bad ground. Have an electrician check the ground on all controls and relays, all the way back to the panel. More times than not...I've found this problem fixed by doing so.Best of luck. Chris
  • brucewo1b
    brucewo1b Member Posts: 638
    I have also had this problem

that turned out to be a bad neutral connection in the main panel house got rewired and I spend the winter on and off chasing a ghost I was determined it was in the wiring and was told emphaticly I was wrong and that I would fix it after I replaced all the parts to no availe they called in an electrician and he found the bad connection.
  • Steve Yakoban

So my thought that there is no need to replace the gas valve is correct?

(it has been working continuously since he "cleaned the contacts" on the relay)
  • Chris_82
    Chris_82 Member Posts: 321

more than likely it's not the gas valve. Sometimes reversing the hot/N to the or any electrical motor might solve this. Geneerally when the tv is affected you have some interference created by something that is close to the line voltage frequency and ac motors in furnaces generally are the prime culprits...
  • Techman
    Techman Member Posts: 2,144
    Relay +

The problem is one zone!One valve!I would replace the relay. Then EVERY and ALL electrical connection would be re-dun ,for the one zone and then check the TV.Both zones are 24v from the same source?!
  • Steve Yakoban

Yes - one transformer feeds both valves.
  • jim lockard
    jim lockard Member Posts: 1,059
    may be

you need a new TV? J.Lockard
This discussion has been closed.