Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

UEI combustion tester- out to lunch?

Saggs
Saggs Member Posts: 174
Well, I found my problem. It was a"massive air leak". Idiot me didn't have the condensate trap rubber plug in very securely and it was sucking in ambient air thru that. Thanks for the tips-Simple human error...

Comments

• Saggs

I just purchased a UEI combustion analyser model c-75 I believe it is? When doing oil testing, the co2 is calculated at 9.5% when my bachrach says 12%. If you dirty up the fire and get the UEI at 11 1/2% the flame is very yellow and smoke is at a 1 or 2. Have only used the thing 6 times so far. On a new williamson oil hot air w/ 9% co2 and a 400 stack it said 87% eff. That can't be right. I tested it on an old hydrotherm standing pilot boiler and it spit out 91.5 % eff. That's a lie as far as I'm concerned. 700 bucks should be more accurate than that?
  • Mitch_4
    Mitch_4 Member Posts: 955
    are you

sure you have it set for the correct fuel? I have had 1 for a year and it has been spot on
  • Saggs

Yes, I change the fuel type each time I have used it. Do you use yours for oil and gas? Is there a way to field calibrate it?
  • Mitch_4
    Mitch_4 Member Posts: 955
    interesting

yes for both oil and gas. Whenever I get dubious reads I check it against another 2 units, odd one out gets recalibrated.

I know of no field adjustments, other than cleaning the trap, changing the O2 sensor. Do you run it from cold? I keep mine in the cab when I am working, and in the house (all electronices are in the house because of condensation problems) overnight.

Check page 20 of your manual, sounds like you may have a cracked line, or a problem with air entering the sample line resulting in an abnormal read.

mitch
  • Saggs

Mitch, thx for the input. The unit is new but I'll check for leaks
  • sootmonkey
    sootmonkey Member Posts: 158
    hey

I have had a C75 for a few months. I had to send the printer back for replacement. Real quick turn around. I test oil only. Unit seems to work good for me.
  • John McArthur_2
    John McArthur_2 Member Posts: 157

> I have had a C75 for a few months. I had to send

> the printer back for replacement. Real quick turn

> around. I test oil only. Unit seems to work good

> for me.

I have one that I have used for about 3 years now and only had to change an O2 sensor. I don't test oil though.
  • Phil_20
    Phil_20 Member Posts: 6
    uei

have had unit for over a year without problems. calorific losses needs proper setting for accurate readings. also proper fuel selection as I do oil and nat. gas. As I compare to higher priced bacharach units readings for NY state jobs I have yet to find a unverified analysis. Just needs proper setting. Manual designed for distribution in Europe as well as US makes discernation difficult.
  • Saggs

Phil, what do you mean by "caloric losses"? Am I missing somthing other than setting the fuel type, initial ambient temp, then doing the test?-Thx
This discussion has been closed.