Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Andrew Hagen Laing Question

Rob_34
Rob_34 Member Posts: 21
..could answer a question for me? Can you disconnect the third heating element so that you can use a lower amperage breaker? Could have used only the EPR 9 but all they have is the EPR 15 and I really want to install one on this project. Time is a factor and I couldn't wait for the smaller units to arrive.

Rob Blair

Comments

• ALH_4
    ALH_4 Member Posts: 1,790
    Yes

Yes you can disable an element. You can also use the elements in stages so that they come on one after the other as needed. Some parts of the Laing instructions are a little difficult to understand. On page 17 it says you can open jumper 6 or 7 to disable elements 2 or 3.
  • Techman
    Techman Member Posts: 2,144
    Question

I 'm not sure that you are allowed to "downsize" the circuit breaker/wire size, because of the"what if"senerio! What if in the future someone wants to reconnect the "extra " heater? The N.E.C. C/B and wire sizing is based on "name tag information" .Disconnecting a heater is one thing ,as Andrew say's.Wire, C/B size is a different matter
  • Rob Blair
    Rob Blair Member Posts: 227

Techman, I totally understand where you are coming from. I had those thoughts immediately!

Thanks,

Rob
  • ALH_4
    ALH_4 Member Posts: 1,790
    the question

Excellent catch. I ignored the heart of the question. It is unfortunate that Laing does not seem to be stocking many of these units in the US. You might call RE. They were stocking a few at one time.
  • Rob Blair
    Rob Blair Member Posts: 227

That's okay Andrew, I was just doing a heatloss and realized that I needed alot more than I thought for the btu output. This is for a floor warming around an indoor lap pool so the slab will need to be alot warmer than usual.

Thanks,

Rob
This discussion has been closed.