Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

CT Electricity$$

Bill Nye_2
Bill Nye_2 Member Posts: 538
The utility gave it self a raise. I think I heard it makes CT the highest price in the 48 states. They get another raise in 6 months.

So, will a propane stove and clothes dryer help even the cost? Is propane cheaper to run than electric.

I am going to go with a solar clothes dryer [piece of rope]. I would have to buy a new dryer and stove. After that I probably can't afford the propane............

Comments

• Paul Fredricks_3
    Paul Fredricks_3 Member Posts: 1,557

My question is, does it pay to switch to another energy producer? I know we have the option, just don't know how much savings there is and who to go to.

• Ken_40
    Ken_40 Member Posts: 1,320
    Northern VT may rival CT

Our utility just petitioned a 1.5-cent raise, which appears to be a slam dunk.

We are going from 12 to 13.5-cents per KW plus ~20-bucks a month for basic service (the privelidge of having a meter).

What's your new rate and basic service nut?
  • Saggs
    Saggs Member Posts: 174

I'm in VT and pay about 13cents /kw. I switched to a propane dryer and stove a few years ago and am happy I did. My wife and I do a fair amount of cooking and laundry for two. I used 25 gals of LP from May to late November. Gas stoves bake much better and have better control of the heat. I wish we had Tennesee's kw cost for electricity.
  • tim smith
    tim smith Member Posts: 2,800
    OOOOOuch, much cheaper here in Seattle

We are at an average of about 6 cents a KW here for winter residential rates. I all electric it would be closer to 7.5 cents here. Guess it pays to have alot of hydro available except for what it has done to the salmon runs.
  • Techman
    Techman Member Posts: 2,144
    Bill Nye

Do you know Bill Nye who worked for the Pfizer Co in Groton?
  • Our elec co-op

here in So. MD is up to $.1225 per KW. That's for the whole shootin' match that passes for a bill.

Let's see. 41 KWs per gallon of #2. Over $5. per gallon. Nice margin for someone.

• Robert O'Brien
    Robert O'Brien Member Posts: 3,554
    On Long Island

electricity was 21.77c KWH this summer and is now down to 19.2c KWH. You guys have it made!

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
  • Brad White_9
    Brad White_9 Member Posts: 2,440
    Pfizer

Appropos of nothing, there are bridges crossing the river at Groton right near the Pfizer plant. They were to be re-built, either as pivot type or raised drawbridges.

Given Pfizer's most profitable product, I would have voted the latter, with naming rights and a large product logo on both sides. Somehow Pfizer's marketing department does not think along the same lines.

:)
  • Bill Nye_2
    Bill Nye_2 Member Posts: 538
    16 c KW

16 cents last January 2006, they voted a 50% raise in two parts Jan 1 2007 and one a few months later. I pay my bill on line so I couldn't come up with any up to date info.

Bill Nye from pfizers, yes, I know who he is but I don't think we are closely related.

http://www.theday.com/re_ap.aspx?re=/C/CT_ELECTRIC_RATES_CTOL-
  • Jon_10
    Jon_10 Member Posts: 47
    Northern NY Rates

We have National Grid (formerly Niagra Mohawk) and are at 15.5 cents per KWH residental. About 15 miles away is Massena (a municipal system) with PASNY suppling them. Their rate averages 4.6 cents per KWH. Both places recieve their power from Robert Moses Power Dam in Massena only thing is that National Grid requires a better profit margin. Massena has a better and up to date distribution system. National Grid trys not to spend any money on upkeep so the upper 20% of management get their multi-millon dollar bonus's and personal lear jets.
  • Gene_3
    Gene_3 Member Posts: 289
    I say sue all politicians

that voted for DEREGULATION IN CT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THEY WORKED WITH POWER COMPANY REPS TO DEVISE A BILL THAT WOULD BENEFIT THEM WITH NOTHING IN IT THAT WOULD EVER PROTECT US FROM RISING COSTS

ALSO THE SAME PEOPLE THAT OWN OR OWN STOCK IN NU CL&P OR UI ARE THE SAME PEOPLE THAT ALSO OWN IT IN THE GENERATING PLANTS

ELECTED OFFICIALS HAVE TO BE RESPONSIBLE FOR THE DAMAGES THAT A BAD BILL DOES TO THE PEOPLE

CT SUCKS, DO NOT MOVE HERE, HIGHEST INCOME BECAUSE OF FAIRFIELD COUNTY= NEW YORKERS, so they figure they can soak us like they did Californians

HOWEVER MOST OF CT IS NOT THAT HIGH IN INCOME,MANY JUST AT OR OVER POVERTY, WE JUST HAVE THE HIGHEST FUEL TAXES, PROPERTY TAXES, ENERGY PRICES, ECT ETC BECAUSE THEY OWN OUR ELECTED IDIOTS

what do you think that does to the economy or the growth for other companies????? yep, all the money goes to them

DO NOT MOVE TO CT
  • Brad White_9
    Brad White_9 Member Posts: 2,440
    So, Gene,

I think we can put you down in the "neutral" column? :)
  • Steamhead (in transit)
    Steamhead (in transit) Member Posts: 6,688
    The problem with \"deregulation\"

is that large utilities can stamp out any competition while the state looks the other way. It's happened here in Maryland (anyone remember Operators' Energy?). They then can raise rates as much as they want to fatten their CEOs' golden parachutes- electric rates in Baltimore are now 15.9 cents per kilowatt-hour, up 72% from this time last year thanks in part to our lap-dog governor who just got voted out. But now there is a precedent- "case law" in lawyerese- so it may be harder to prevent future increases.

This is one reason our company likes to install equipment that can burn different fuels with a minimum of fuss. It introduces competition where none existed before, putting the owner in control of what fuel to burn and therefore how much to pay per BTU. With this equipment available there is no reason to install atmospheric gas boilers anymore unless your uncle owns the gas company. They're a bit less efficient than wet-base ones to boot.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Gene_3
    Gene_3 Member Posts: 289
    neutral???

I was born with a peace sign in one hand and the Fickle Finger of Fate in the other.

I love my country

I hate my Government

So many people are only concerned with getting their kids to soccer on time they have no clue how screwed over we are and how good we could be living in this country {better than Kuwaitis} and how much better the economy could be

Imagine if we got rid of corporate control of our govt and they had to reign in their gouging of our bank account

we'd have better roads, more and better schools, more jobs and a better way and quality of life

Trickle Down Economics does not work, it makes all the money flow up to a very few and then they pee on us

Flow Up works better, more people working buying more products and services would actually make more money for all of "THEM"

they are too stupid to realize this

I figure another 50-100 years of this and there will be so many people out of work and upset we will have a new Revolution/Civil War-- the Have Nots killing the Haves Alls

It's already started in the cities, ask any cop.
This discussion has been closed.