Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Coil Indirects

Rudnae
Rudnae Member Posts: 47
I would have to say the water in that system should be treated in some way. Perhaps bring in water from a known "clean" source. Many of the plumbers in this area when heading to a job using a well or other ground source will actually bring water in from the city and use a system pressurization tank to replace the water feed and backflow. That should solve your problem. As far as a difference in the two types of units liming up/losing efficiency, I would have to think that the same amount of material would adhear to each system. I have personally seen a coil come out of a 17 year old indirect (Amtrol WH-7), that was hooked up to a system using a lot of (shudder) poly-b and it had very little build up what so ever. So seperate your system from that water source and you should be laughing! Hope this helps.

Comments

• Chris_82
    Chris_82 Member Posts: 321
    Coil units Versus tank in a tank design?

Am I noticing coil units loosing their efficiency much faster due to higher water temps as compared with the tank in a tank design? Seems to me that the 180 degree SS and the "blue" units gunk up faster than the mod/cons or secondary/primary piping setups that are using 120-130 degree h20? Looking back on a number of jobs and asking former/ past customers with "traditional" 180-plus temps their storage tanks are not lasting as long as the ones that are running at the lower temps? We have always been over sizing our indirect gallons wise, and lowering the aqua stat, just believe if you have the space it makes for a more trouble free lifetime install, for the additional tank and circ or much larger tank. Especially after taking a sawzall to see what the insides look like? And seeing the coil totally covered in hard brown caked on stuff.
  • kevin coppinger_4
    kevin coppinger_4 Member Posts: 2,124
    if you are...

having that much of an issue you should be looking at water quality issues....maybe a softener. Test it to see whats up. Tank 'n tank is far more forgiving....kpc

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • ALH_4
    ALH_4 Member Posts: 1,790
    indirects

One thing about the good coil indirects is that they give you a cleanout hole. The water quality in your area must be quite bad.
This discussion has been closed.