Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Stairway switch

Is it possible to put a stairway switch and any type of firomatic switch on a gas steam millivolt system? I don't think so because of the added resistance in the circuit. But let me know please, I have a customer that has just purchased a house and 2 electicians have given her quotes to do the job. thanks for any help

Comments

• I would,

think so Jim(electrical is not really my bag),I put-one on my HW boiler(millivolt) and just used a small relay mounted near the gas-valve.

Dave
  • I would,

think so Jim(electrical is not really my bag),I put-one on my HW boiler(millivolt) and just used a small relay mounted near the gas-valve.

Dave
  • Rich W
    Rich W Member Posts: 175
    Think so too

What is a thermostat but a remote switch? Just make sure you have enough mV left over to do the job at the valve...every switch (and wire) "eats up" a certain number of milli-volts through resistance.
  • jim lockard
    jim lockard Member Posts: 1,059
    Red Switch

wall switches are put on millivolt fire log systems all the time, as for a boiler I would use a relay with millivolt contacts and a 24 or 110 volt coil. J.Lockard
  • Wayco Wayne_2
    Wayco Wayne_2 Member Posts: 2,479
    You may need to

add a 24 volt transformer so you can use a small control relay down by the gas valve. Find a nearby 120 volts source nearby and tap into that. WW

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
This discussion has been closed.