Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Instantaneous HWH?

Dave_4
Dave_4 Member Posts: 1,405
Would any home insurance companies have an issue with something other than an approved home heating device heating the undersigned home?

Comments

• Jamie_6
    Jamie_6 Member Posts: 710

I would like some more information on why these units are not good units for space heating.

I already know that they are designed for large temperature increases not small loads.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Chris_82
    Chris_82 Member Posts: 321
    Instantanious

feel free to install one, just don't send me the electric bill, or ask why when it dosen't work, or last much longer than a week or two...I have been blasted more than once about some of my sarcastic responses, I see no reason to stop now... It would be like purchasing a new 2,0000 thousand dollar boiler just to use the cast iron as a boat anchor, why not buy 500 energy efficent hair dryers with programmable thermaostats to heat your home, or build a ten foot clay fire pit, and just heat with whatever burns, you can cook over it also...seriously...a number of manufacturers make electric radient floor elements for those tough plumbing installs, we don't talk about them here though...depending upon the application instantanious heaters are designed for large increases and small loads...
  • Home Depot Employee
    Home Depot Employee Member Posts: 329
    They work

Chris he never mentioned electric.

I'll bet you were considering gas right?

They work fine but are finicky with glycol systems and never put one on a dirty or existing system. Stick with primary/secondary though due to the restrictive and limited flows through the heat

See this site for diagrams:

http://www.takagi-usa.com/

All that being said, with all thats required to put in, just install a good modcon.
  • Jamie_6
    Jamie_6 Member Posts: 710

Wow Chris what did I ever do to you?

Just asking a simple question!

Personally I prefer boilers for any home heating applications. I'm just looking for some ammunition in my tool belt when I'm bidding against someone who is trying to use an instantaneous heater. (Be it gas or electric).

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Rudnae
    Rudnae Member Posts: 47
    Unfortunately, They are approved...

Most of the instantaneous heater lines have units that are approved for dual purpose. Typically it is a commercial model being used in these instances (Rinnai for example). This being said I feel the same way about using these as any dual purpose system. Don't do it! The real problem is that you never know how much Domestic the house hold is going to use, ergo you never know if you need additonal heat for domestic or not, I'd rather not find out after the fact....
  • Chris_82
    Jamie, sorry having a bad day...

check out the cost for replacment parts and be sure to speak with someone who has an exsisting install for over a year. Electricity is at the moment an attractive "fuel" and in some cases cheaper than others at the moment. Be sure you understand these are high maintance devices, or traditionally have been. There have been a number of past, no longer out there manufacturers like mitibishi and others that just didn't survive the test of time. And I sincerly doubt the majorities claims of 50 percent energy savings. Replacment parts has been my biggist gripe with them...
  • Dave Larsen_2
    Dave Larsen_2 Member Posts: 53
    work fine?

I see alot of guys trying these for heat. On start up they appear to be working just fine, but have you hung around long enough to watch the end of the heating cycle? these babies work on flow, so as you see return temps close to design they short cycle. I know they are built to handle a lot of cycles but what they go through in this situation has to take a large toll on the life of that heater.
  • Chris_82

More than once I have been acussed of disparaging certian equipment, and I see no reason to stop with these units, perhaps the new generation of them have worked out the kinks the Bosh / mitibishi/ sanyo's had when they first came out...But considering they havent been around all that long I still maintain my posture of prove long life and durability!!! Before I spend any cash. Check out the replacment cost for the control board or the thermocouples or the various temp and flow switches, nevermind the cost of a new component heat exchanger, also check and see who stocks replacment parts...ANd the fact that these units Do Not Last That long...But perhaps they have worked out a few of the bugs that plaged last years model, if you purchase one of these, God willing I might still be around let me know how it turns out.
This discussion has been closed.