Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

monoflow tee when to use and when not?

I actually made my own using venturi insert fittings.

When dealing with high pressure drop circuits, or down flow (basement) considerations, you use one on the inlet to divert flow, and one on the outlet to exert flow.

If the heat emmmiter is above the main, generally speaking, one TEE is used on the return back into the main where the water density would be the highest, unless the emitter is a high pressure drop item (fan coil unit), then use the previous (two tee system) statement.

Bleeding the convectors can NOT be done using a simple forced purge. These systems must have an individual air vent for each convector, and should be bleed-purged with the pump in the OFF position.

It is not recommended that the branch be valved OFF, because the pressure drop through the unit with no side branch flow is KILLER.

As with any series or series/parallel circuit consideration, temperature drop through the circuit should be taken into consideration in sizing the convectors.

In other words, shorter convectors in the front (hotter water availability) and longer convectors near the end (lower water temperatures)

One pipe makes a LOT of sense on a single story ranch w/basement application. You can put TRV's on the individual emmitters and get perfect room temperature control, and you get the opportunity to go with continuous circ with ODR if your heart desires. In my home, I have one 3/4" copper main that runs around the preimeter of the house. On the branches, I have 5 steel panel radiators, one cast iron radiator, one towel rack/heated bath tub, one radiant floor and one radiant ceiling, and VERY comfy, relatively inexpensive (1/2 as much as my neighbors!) to heat home.

It is considered "old school" and is not understood by the younger generation (Why geners) hence it is not sold or installed in a lot of applications where it COULD make sense.

BTW, I threw ball valves on the main, in between my inlet and outlet tees (radiant floors and ceiling) to aid in easy purging. The other conveyors have their own bleed points.

ME

Comments

• Geno_16
    Geno_16 Member Posts: 2
    monoflow tee's

I was at a old house and had to move some heating pipe's for the builder in order to raise the ceiling for sheetrock I noticed there were a couple of monoflow tee's feeding some baseboard I had never seen these type they indicated the flow with an arrow and I replaced them with monoflow tee's going in the direction that I thought were the direction of the water flow and I could not see were all the pipe's were except for the one I had to move after I cut the pipe from the old monoflow I noticed that the tee was going in what to be appered the wrong direction the inlet was on the return side of the mono tee they were old style taco mono flow tee's (which I never saw before) I replaced them the way they were flowing and not the way I think they should have been installed (monoflow tee then a regular tee coming back from the baseboard back to the boiler).
  • Geno_16
    Geno_16 Member Posts: 2
    monoflow tee's

I was at a old house and had to move some heating pipe's for the builder in order to raise the ceiling for sheetrock I noticed there were a couple of monoflow tee's feeding some baseboard I had never seen these type they indicated the flow with an arrow and I replaced them with monoflow tee's going in the direction that I thought were the direction of the water flow and I could not see were all the pipe's were except for the one I had to move after I cut the pipe from the old monoflow I noticed that the tee was going in what to be appered the wrong direction the inlet was on the return side of the mono tee they were old style taco mono flow tee's (which I never saw before) I replaced them the way they were flowing and not the way I think they should have been installed (monoflow tee then a regular tee coming back from the baseboard back to the boiler).
  • Hello

How are you?

Dave
  • JaredM
    JaredM Member Posts: 57
    Monoflo tees

When using one tee it is usually installed on the return side of the radiator not the supply. The tee creates a restriction in the main causing some flow through the branch piping and radiator.

-Jared

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • realolman
    realolman Member Posts: 513
    heres a spec sheet from B G

nice little sheet on mono flow tees

• I think maybe the original installer thought the base board would over heat or it was over heating so they installed the tee backwise. I am sure you wikk have your answer soon,i.e. no news or callback
  • Boilerpro_5
    Boilerpro_5 Member Posts: 407
    i don't believe arrows necessarily point to flow direction....

but should be pointing toward the bridge piping between the supply and return to the heating unit. They are usually installed on the return (not exactly sure why, with a second one installed on the supply for high presure drop radiation or radiation below the main.

Boilerpro

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
This discussion has been closed.