Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

No heat from Radiator in Living Room

Options
Hi,

We bought our house about 2 years ago. It was built in 1923. It has a hot water gravity system. We moved in during the summer and the first winter realized we were getting little to no heat from the living room radiator. We would turn the thermostat up and "cook" the kids in their up stairs bedrooms and still be freezing downstairs. we have been resorting to space heaters, but it's now driving me crazy.

I know nothing about radiators, having grown up with base board units that we never even touched. I read on this website about missing orifice plates causing radiators to stop putting out heat. We did have our wood floors re-done in the living room right before we moved in and was wondering if something could have happened then.

I wanted to try to take a look t it myself before calling in the professionals. Can someone tell me how and where to check for the orifice plate and if it is missing where to buy a new one??? Are there differnt sizes and types???

Also, if anyone has any other suggestions as to what we can try ourselves before calling a pro, we are open to any suggestions.

We would really appreciate any help and/or guidance - we are freezing in the most used room of our house!

Thanks,

The Fosters

Comments

• Big Ed
    Big Ed Member Posts: 1,117
    Options
    First

Try bleeding the air out of it throught the air vent near the top.Also make sure the supply shut off valve is open.....

• The Fosters
    The Fosters Member Posts: 2
    Options
    No heat from Radiator in Living Room

Thanks - I will try both. If that doesn't work do you have any other suggestions??? I am at work and will be looking at it over the long weekend, so I'm trying to gather as many suggestions as possible before I go home for the weekend.

Thanks again!
This discussion has been closed.