Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Steam Header Swing Joints

Dick_3
Dick_3 Member Posts: 60
Let me ask this question in another way.

Let's say we have a cast iron steam boiler w/ (2) 5'' boiler connections, a 6'' header, and a 6'' steam main connection per the boiler manufacturer's recommendations.

We pipe in a proper drop header using cast iron 90's w/ screwed pipe. Then we pipe a second boiler exactly the same way, but use welded pipe w/ flanged connections at the (2) boiler connections.

Which header allows for more expansion (less pressure on the cast iron heat exchanger) and why?

<A HREF="http://www.heatinghelp.com/getListed.cfm?id=363&Step=30">To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"</A>

Comments

• Dick_3
    Steam Header Swing Joints

While cast iron steam boiler manufacturer's recommend using screwed fittings on the near boiler piping and steam headers to allow movement to reduce/eliminate any stress on the cast iron heat exchanger, how much "swing" does a, let's say, 6'' cast iron 90 really allow? Are the manufacturers trying to say the threads in the fittings and pipe are actually moving within each other?

Ever try to un-screw a 6'' fitting on a steam header? Not much give there, is there?

It's hard to see how that joint is "swinging" during the expansion/contraction of the piping. What I'm I missing? If the joint was really "swinging", wouldn't it be leaking steam?

I agree a properly designed header is critical. The piping weight should be taken up with proper hangers and supports, and the piping weight shouldn't rest on the heat exchanger. The header should have some offset to allow expansion without stressing the heat exchanger, and have union or flanged connections at each steam connection on the boiler.

Are those screwed fittings really "swinging" on the steam header?

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • bob young
    bob young Member Posts: 2,177
    swing

swing joints definitely work. take for example a domestic hot water riser in a seven storey bldg. without a proper five elbow swing [ or eqivalent expansion joint ] you got a leak every year. also three elbow swings on branch piping etc. they are extremely important or your maintenance bills would go through the roof. this is what separates the real pipefitters from the butchers that make it work ----but not well. the swing on the steam header you can't actually see it move but the results to the boiler when it is omitted are real. try a welded header and see what happens.
  • swing joints

i am looking at replacing a steamer in boston that has no exp joints. there are 4 risers all 4" welded directly into an 8" riser the boiler sections are all starting to leak. Should be a good replacement for the spring!!

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • On a drop header

you get two swing joints per riser! That's one reason I like them where the boiler needs two or more risers to the header.

• bob young
    bob young Member Posts: 2,177
    swing

a drop header is a beautiful thing. i use them every chance i can. so ironic , they were using them a hundred years ago. those gents knew.
  • JackEnnisMartin
    JackEnnisMartin Member Posts: 70
    Swing Joints

Hello
    Steam fitting is becoming a lost art and that is the reason you are confused with swing joints. In the old days you had to apprentice with an old guy and you learned or else. Installation of a good steam header in my experience always includes a dropped header --- the design of the header automatically gives you a swing joint. Dan's book on steam heating is a wonderful reference and if you can get an old Audels book on steamheating ;you will never have touble with a steam piping job again. I have a question for everyone -- How many steam jobs are going in as a brand new heating installation these days? I venture to say not many. Steam is a wonderful antique.
    All the best for 2007
    Jack Ennis Martin
  • A few

mostly done by steam enthusiasts such as Mad Dog Sweeney, Dan Foley, Mark Hunt, Jim & Jamie Pompetti and others including Gordon and me. Steam is not a dead technology and has some advantages.... it will give the same comfort and approach the efficiency of hot-water when installed and set up properly, and the chances of it freezing in a power or fuel failure are almost nonexistent.

We just looked at a job where a small addition was put on a very old house in the 1950s or so and heated with a furnasty that is way oversized. It's still the original furnasty and its condition is questionable- we haven't fired it yet. Recently the steam boiler that heats the main house was replaced and is oversized.

Guess what we're proposing? We're going to junk that old furnasty and run a steam line to the addition, and put some radiators in there.

"The Steam" rules!

• Boilerpro_5
    Boilerpro_5 Member Posts: 407
    Its sad how things have changed....

Nowadays its generally the old guys that are Knuckleheading steam, while the new guys are reading up here and doing it right.
    We lost a couple generations in the middle. Fortunately there are a few that made it through and now are here to teach us young guys that are looking to learn (I guess I t' aint so young no more, though, but still learning).

Boilerpro

• Dick_3

Let me ask this question in another way.

Let's say we have a cast iron steam boiler w/ (2) 5'' boiler connections, a 6'' header, and a 6'' steam main connection per the boiler manufacturer's recommendations.

We pipe in a proper drop header using cast iron 90's w/ screwed pipe. Then we pipe a second boiler exactly the same way, but use welded pipe w/ flanged connections at the (2) boiler connections.

Which header allows for more expansion (less pressure on the cast iron heat exchanger) and why?

I realize welded steel headers are improper, but there are many being installed and the the boiler reps seemed to have a way of looking the other way when their favorite (high volume) contractor installs a header other than per the recommendations of the boiler manufacturer. Just had a rep. approve a header that was not only welded but was completely improper per the boiler manufacturer's minimium requirements. Harder to understand and compete with.

• Steamhead (in transit)
    Steamhead (in transit) Member Posts: 6,688
    The one with screwed pipe

will take up expansion. The welded one will kill the boiler.

That rep was probably following orders from his superiors to look the other way so they will keep buying their boilers. I've heard of this in more than one company- all of which shall remain nameless...

This discussion has been closed.