Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Contender & T80/T50 Munchkin

Options
Ross_7
Ross_7 Member Posts: 577
Is Heat Transfer Products going to at least try to get the stamping? Or maybe they don't need business in MI? :-)
Ross

Comments

• Ross_7
    Options
    Contender & T50/T80 differences

Excuse my ignorance here, but the what are the major differences between the new Contender & the old T50/T80?
    Other than the obvious, i.e. bottom connection, new fancy outside jacket, venting looks a little different, different size models. I wonder why the contender doesn't have a higher turndown ratio. But esentially isn't it the same boiler? Anyone have any input on this? Thanks in advance!
    Ross
  • Ross_7
    Options
    nobody?

Nobody has any input on this at all?
  • gerry gill
    gerry gill Member Posts: 3,078
    Options
    gwgillplumbingandheating.com
    Serving Cleveland's eastern suburbs from Cleveland Heights down to Cuyahoga Falls.

• Ross_14
    Ross_14 Member Posts: 1
    Options
    ASME Stamp

Thanks Gerry!
    So much for using them in Michigan then. Thanks for the input. Have a good day!
    Ross
  • Kevin G_2
    Kevin G_2 Member Posts: 20
    Options
    contender

There are some major differences.
    prewired for with vision 1
    new heat exchanger.
    Easy service full cover comes off.
    easy wiring strip for low voltage.
    new trap with float swicth.
    I have had this boiler installed for a year in a test site with no issues.
  • Kevin G_2
    Kevin G_2 Member Posts: 20
    Options

They are available in 4 sizes 50,80,99 and 120MBH. The only down fall is they are NOT ASME rated.
  • Brad White
    Brad White Member Posts: 2,398
    Options
    No

That would defeat the purpose. The Contender, as I understand it, is not a boiler but a water heater (not the domestic kind and there is a more specific term which escapes me at the moment)for residential applications which may not require an ASME stamp. If they use the term "boiler" it has to have an ASME rating and stamp. There are other features designed/simplified to bring the price point down somewhat also.
    "If you do not know the answer, say, "I do not know the answer", and you will be correct!"

-Ernie White, my Dad
  • Alan(OnVacationInOregon)Forbes
    Options
    ASME

From what I was told at HTP, the Contender is to become their standard residential boiler; if you need an ASME rating, Munchkin's fit the bill.
  • Ross_7
    Options
    Space Heating

Oh, you mean appliances listed for "Space Heating" :-)
  • Dave Stroman
    Dave Stroman Member Posts: 765
    Options

I saw these boilers on the bench at the factory last summer. It still has stainless heat exchanger tubes but most of the rest of it is plastic. Yes, plastic.

Dave in Denver

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Chris_82
    Chris_82 Member Posts: 321
    Options
    Dave

So far the plastic has been the most durable part of the boiler, except for the fans...
  • Brad White
    Brad White Member Posts: 2,398
    Options
    Ouch

Funny, but ouch.

:)
    "If you do not know the answer, say, "I do not know the answer", and you will be correct!"

-Ernie White, my Dad
This discussion has been closed.