Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Heil furnace problem

1) Check the venting tables in the installation guide, do you have a model number? As far as I know, all 100K furnaces require a 3 to 4 adapter and 4" venting material. What is the ignition type? HSI, Pilot? Smart valve?

Comments

• Todd_17
    Todd_17 Member Posts: 31
    Heil furnace problem

I recently serviced a "Heil" 80% efficient 100,000btu furnace. The furnace vents through 3' of 3" single wall pipe to an existing masonary chimney. Prior to service, the furnace would ignite with pilot and main burner for about 20 seconds then cut out. I replaced the pilot assembly and the furnace worked well for a day or 2. When I came back to service again, I removed the cover and tested it many times with NO problem. However the moment the cover is in place or close to being in place the pilot fails and the main burner turns off. All the obvious was checked. For the time being I left the cover off. Any suggestions?
  • Jim Bennett
    Jim Bennett Member Posts: 607
    Maybe...

check for a good ground path?

I am not a furnace tech but have read here about improper grounding causeing problems with the electronics on some heating equipment.

Good luck,

Jim

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• John_148
    John_148 Member Posts: 1
    Grounding

Since the problem happens when the cover is brought "CLOSE TO" (but not touching) the unit, that leads me to believe that it is not a grounding issue.
  • lee_7
    lee_7 Member Posts: 458

what are your draft readings for chimney?? Is draft putting flame out?
  • Techman
    Techman Member Posts: 2,144
    Heil Hell

Is it possible there is a hole in the heat-x?Can you cover the opening with a piece of plexiglass so you can see any flame pattern disruption?
  • Todd_17
    Todd_17 Member Posts: 31

Unfortunately I forgot the furnace # prior to deciding to try this forum, however iwill be going back to theh job soon.
    Facts: 1) Installed in 1993 2) spark ignition to pilot then main burner 3) heat exchanger examined from collector box at top as well as through the fan opening(fan removed, crawled into furnace with light and mirror) 4) exhaust blower working well 5) furnace never serviced in almost 14 years 6) gas regulator in stalled to assure 3.5 inches of water column at gas valve ( almost 12" of water column prior to gas valve before regulator install 7) installed new pilot assembly at initail visit because of normal wear
  • Ed_26
    Ed_26 Member Posts: 284
    cover issue

Check the molex plug in the corner of the burner shelf - some of the heil/keeprite/tempstar units had problems there. You may have to delete it & re-wire.
  • Empire_2
    Empire_2 Member Posts: 2,343
    Merry Christmas todd

First there cannot be a regulator before the GV. The combination gas valve will take care of that. If you look on the furnace tag, it will state acceptable incoming gas pressure that the furnace needs. If you are getting 3.5"wc, that is to lo. These regulators were usually left in the gas line because somebody thought it was necessary. I don't mean to imply that it is not, but Most nat. gas meters will provide proper regulated gas to all appliances in the home. Manifold press. is usually 3.5"wc, and incoming press is like 4 or 5 to 7 or 8"wc.

2 things I need: What is the actual line pressure off the meter, and what is it after the regulator you described?

I'm sorry, just read the last line on your post..... 12 is to hi even for the rest of your appliances.

Mike T.
This discussion has been closed.