Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

I need advice on how to hide steam heat pipe

Dave_4
Dave_4 Member Posts: 1,405
I'd be tempted to make a built-in book case with a fancy top and crown molding tht would hide the piping.

Pete

Comments

• Ken L.
    Ken L. Member Posts: 35
    I need advice on how to hide steam heat pipe

I need advice.

Attached is a picture of the exposed pipe from adding one-pipe steam heat to my daughter’s attic room. The pipe is exposed due to the header extending over the wall by about two inches. I chose not to cut into the header and bury the pipe as I fear removal of this support lumber would weaken the house. I can build a small box but my better half insists there is a better method. (I would have left the pipe as it is and painted the pipe the same color as the ceiling.)

I am open to suggestions.
  • Mark Hunt
    Mark Hunt Member Posts: 4,908
    Other than

hiring Chris Angel and having him make it disappear, you have already covered your options.

My wife does that to me all the time. "There HAS to be a better way!" she says and then leaves the room.

I'd box it in.....or paint it......knowing full well that whatever course I chose, it would not be good enough.

I feel your pain.

Mark H

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • brucewo1b
    brucewo1b Member Posts: 638
    Ken

You can isulate it then hire an interior decorator and have then make a nice velcro sock to fit over the insulation that matches the curtains or funiture in the room. Yes I would box it in too but you know, if you want to be happy then you know.....
  • bob young
    bob young Member Posts: 2,177
    offset riser

come off the riser with a set of 45* 's tight to the wall & jump into ceiling . then make a set of elbows in ceiling to put you center of penitration hole. 45* 's will be exposed but is the most pleasing to the eye you will get short of notching wood framing. happy new year
  • Long Beach Ed
    Long Beach Ed Member Posts: 1,238
    Bob's right...

The 45's were used in the old days for two reasons. They minimized the horozontal runs, which tend to trap water when the floor joists dried out and shrank, causing the things to backpitch. They also looked more pleasing.

The vertical pipe would come out of the wall with two 45's, up vertically against the wall and straight up into the ceiling. Then your elbow and horozontal stuff could be hidden in the ceiling. All you'd see is a foot of pipe coming out of the wall and traveling straight up into the ceiling.

That would be a better way to pipe this job and it would look cleaner too.

Or you can just do as the old Italians used to do in Brooklyn. Paint it silver or red. Hang stuff from it.

Long Beach Ed
    Happy New Year
  • Ken L.
    my solution

Do you think this box is too large?

I must thank everyone for the suggestions and comments. Had I realized when Mr Plumber installed the upstairs heat that 45* elbows allowed for improved drainage I would have had it done. Today it is my choice. Nothing a sawsall and some visits to the BOX store can't fix.
  • JB_8
    JB_8 Member Posts: 85
    Box

Really Looks great
  • Mark Hunt
    I agree with JBee

but then again.............as Red Green would say:

I'm a man...

But I can change...

If I have to...

I guess...

The Truth

Happy New Year!!!

Mark H

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • lee_7
    lee_7 Member Posts: 457

is that the new mold/mildew resistant drywall that you used? If so, I think you installed it backwards. Yellow side should be on the inside. looks good though
  • JackEnnisMartin
    JackEnnisMartin Member Posts: 70
    steam pipe

Hello
    I could not hep thinking that this is an ideal time to bil your daughter some built in furniture. I would assume she has any nymber of things she would like to display and a nice display cabinet would be well used. If I can make one suggestion: insulate the pipe and the space behind with a fire retardant insulation.
    All the best and happy new year.
    Jack Ennis Martin
  • Chris_82
    Chris_82 Member Posts: 321

Wait till next year and then fix it!
  • Robert O'Connor_12
    Robert O'Connor_12 Member Posts: 728
    suggestions?

Looking at the picture you posted I would surmise that that board you are calling a header is nothing more than a 2x4 fire stop (blocking). It appears to be lower than the beams shown in the ceiling. Why couldn't you drill a vertical hole through it, then another hole through the horizontal beam, re-pipe it and then you wouldn't have to box out anything.

Another idea would be to notch the firestop blocking (aka beam) and run it on a 45° up tight to it and into the bay, then you would have much less hiding to do.

Robert O'Connor/NJ
  • bob young
    PITCH

WITHOUT AN ADDITIONAL FITTING ON THAT TWO ELBOW OFFSET THE CHANCES YOU HAVE PITCH ON THE HORIZONTAL TRAVEL PIECE ARE SLIM TO NONE. THIS IS A PRIME EXAMPLE WHERE SWING COMES INTO PLAY. [ PITCH , LEVEL , PLUMB & SQUARE . IF PIECE COMMING OUT OF FLOOR IS NOT SQUARE , YOU KILL YOURSELF MAKING LAST CONNECTION. SORRY ABOUT THE CAPS. I WAS NOT LOOKING AT THE SCREEN.
  • Ken L.
    mildew resistant drywall

This is mildew resistant drywall. I installed the yellow side toward the outside on the wall below the box. I noticed the drywall was tapered on the yellow side, hence the yellow side is out on the box. Live and Learn.

Besides, when it is painted no one will know but you and I.

• Ken L.
    LMAO

LOL, great stuff. Pretty soon I'll be smarter too.
  • bob young
    ceiling heated dog house

i am trying to figure which is more insane---the bogus piping mess or the box big enough to be a dog house. is this a test ? maybe you should insulate the doghouse and add a swinging door. and go the extra mile and put fins on the piping
  • Mark Hunt
    No-one says it better

than Red Green!!

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!!

Mark H

• Al Corelli_2
    Al Corelli_2 Member Posts: 395
    Hey, Wait a minute...

Where the heck are the "steam" fittings? :)

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Ken L.
    I am a humble home owner

Humor me as I am a humble home owner. What are "steam fittings?"
  • Dave_4
    Dave_4 Member Posts: 1,405
    bookcase

Here's what I'd do. Make the box a bit wider, and add crown molding on the top. Carry the sides to the floor, and build a bookcase under it, like a piece of built in furniture. Maybe Martha Stewart can offer other suggestions? :) Just kidding, but I think the bookcase has merit.

pete
  • Chris_82
    Chris_82 Member Posts: 321

Apparently you have used "mallable" black fittings on your steam system, they will work just fine. To get really tecnical it's better than using copper fittings or copper pipe which some people around here will use...but It should have been done right the first time and or if you had done that you wouldn't have provided us with some fun. Just be aware that after a few years, they may not be so easy to unscrew, on the other hand cast iron fittings wich are traditioanally used on steam are a whole lot more fun to smash apart, the indusrty wide and dangerously accepted practice of remodeling steam systems, and I might add the only way... on a more serious note when plumbers see mallable fittings we thingk gas pipe! Additioanally doent try to smash apart mallable fittings.
  • Ken L.
    black pipe

?

The black pipe was installed by a plumber. He and I agreed no copper. OK, I give up, what is wrong with this install?

Should I call him back to fix?
  • Jim Bennett
    Jim Bennett Member Posts: 607
    Traditionally...

steam piping has been done with cast iron fittings, as opposed to black malleable fittings, which you have.

Originally, back in the day, cast iron fittings were cheaper than malleable. I'm not sure that is the case any longer and many plumbing suppliers (in my area) no longer carry cast fittings.

Either type will work just fine.

Jim

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• bob young
    nice pipework

if you like the way it looks & it works------guess its o.k. i could never get away with work like that.my customers would have me arrested. i love the box.
  • Weezbo
    Weezbo Member Posts: 6,232
    You need Help. *~/:)

Burn a hole through the floor. go straight up. bang two precuts together. box it all in with oak and scribe your wifes name on it :) then she will think 'Oh how wonderful' :)) instead of, 'Hey! Whats this pipe stickin out at me?'

:)

remember, proper planning will avoid these problems in the future...:)

5 star help
  • Mark Hunt
    There is nothing wrong with the install

do not call your plumber back.

Cast iron fittings were used on steam systems way back when because THERE WERE NO MALABLE fittings available!

As far as removing the fittings at a later date....WHO CARES?!?!?! Either they get smashed(cast) or I cut them out(malable). And what are the odds of that pipe needing to be removed within the next 100 years anyway?!?!?!

You are all set Ken. Rest easy.

More importantly, how does the missus like your creation??

Mark H

• Ken L.
    thanks!

Mark,

Thanks for the feedback. Unless something was radically wrong I have no need to call back my plumber.

The heat works wonderfully upstairs.

The Missus is beginning to say things like, "If I put a chair under it, it will feel like another room." It is painted to match the wall and in my opinion, looks damn good. My brother-in-law is a carpenter, I suggested she ask his opinion...

Hindsight being 20-20, I could have made the box smaller or created a triangle. (This is why I do all my woodwork with screws and not nails.)

HEY, Happy New Year!

This discussion has been closed.