Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Condensate contents

Options
DIYPeter
DIYPeter Member Posts: 15
Thanks Brad. I'm considering running it into a 200 gallon cooling tower reservoir. I otherwise add sulfamic on occasion to keep the nozzles clean. It will be well diluted, but maybe I can get some gain. I got a reading of 4 on what I tested.

Comments

• DIYPeter
    DIYPeter Member Posts: 15
    Options
    Condensate contents

What is the acid that is in the condensate water? Natural gas condensing furnace.

Thanks
  • Brad White
    Brad White Member Posts: 2,398
    Options
    According to Viessmann Literature

combustion of natural gas creates residues of lead, cadmium, chromium, copper, nickel, zinc and tin in minute quantities. These are stated at less than 0.01 mg. per liter of lead, chromium, copper and nickel, less than 0.05 of zinc and tin and less than 0.005 of chromium. These numbers are miniscule and many of the metals probably are a function of the wearing of combustion surfaces, however slight to trace amounts.

The acid formation, to your question, I would surmise it to be dilute nitric acid given the predominance of nitrogen in the combustion air. Nitric acid is particularly aggressive to metals. The pH of boiler condensate ranges in the high 3's to low 5's. Vinegar is about 3, orange juice about 3.5, coffee is about 5 so the condensate in itself is reasonably dilute. Still, it should be neutralized through marble chips or other means before disposal to protect piping long-term.
    "If you do not know the answer, say, "I do not know the answer", and you will be correct!"

-Ernie White, my Dad
  • Brad White
    Brad White Member Posts: 2,398
    Options
    Mmmmmm.

I have to imagine that you are running the condensing boiler serving a reheat function? Otherwise why else would you dump it into a cooling tower if not during the cooling season? I suppose the dilution you will get will be sufficient but something about that gives me pause.

Assuming you are testing and automatically adjusting your tower water (pH, TDS, conductivity and all that), I suppose any drop in pH can be compensated for.

A pH of 4.0 is entirely normal. After running mine through marble chips and after the chips were well-soaked, the pH was darned close to 7.0 neutral. Initially it was a little lower but rose and is consistent thus far.

"If you do not know the answer, say, "I do not know the answer", and you will be correct!"

-Ernie White, my Dad
  • Chris_82
    Chris_82 Member Posts: 321
    Options

Co2 plus the "water vapor" form http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbonic_acid

Simple...

A lot of condensate problems can be eliminated by a water spray, you should see manufacturers introduce this in the couple of years ahead, It isn't really harmfull once it hits the sewer system.
This discussion has been closed.