Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

taco 417 coin vent question

I don't like these taco 417 vents. I have gordon and hoffman vents but they are too big to fit without taking off the end cover.

Are there any small steam vents being made besides the taco 417? If not I'll remove the cover and go traditional.

Comments

• Dan Halloran
    Dan Halloran Member Posts: 3
    taco 417 coin vent question

I have baseboard heating with taco 417 coin vents. How are they adjustable? Do I loosen the slotted end or should I remove some of the internal discs and fully tighten?

The reason I ask is because I moved into a new house with baseboard rads and taco coin vents and am having problems. Some rads don't heat at all and others are too slow. I know it's the vents fault because when I remove the entire vent (to test) the rad hisses and immediately becomes hot.

Thanks for any help!
  • BK_4
    BK_4 Member Posts: 5
    coin vents

You only have to loosen the slotted part, don't remove, just loosen till you hear air or see water. If you see water coming out of the vent stop and retighten.

hope tis helps
    Brad
  • Dan Halloran
    Dan Halloran Member Posts: 3

OK, thank you.
  • bob young
    bob young Member Posts: 2,177
    purge

try to bleed & purge the entire zone at the boiler termination point rather than at each piece of baseboard. check pressure. key valves are normally shut as opposed to auto. type
  • brucewo1b
    brucewo1b Member Posts: 638
    Bob and Brad

The Taco 417 Coin Vent I believe has hygroscopic cellulose discs that when dry, allow air out, when the discs wet they swell and shut-off. They can also can be manually, the forst time I ran into theese I had I heck of a time trying to get a good air test the vent was on the third floor I was in the basement and it took me a while to figure those little buggers out.
  • bob young
    bob young Member Posts: 2,177
    taco

my mistake. i thought he was referring to a regular loose key air valve . the taco 417 is similiar to a hoffman 500 & they are both also compatable with steam systems. [ in a pinch ! ]
This discussion has been closed.