Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Help we are freezing

I checked the Vents and they appear to be working and not obstructed. I just discussed this with the tenants downstairs as well and they say last year it was hot and efficient and that th elandlord complained about the heating cost. Then all of the sudden it got cold there as well. They say they are comfortable but feel that he lowered SOMETHING on the system to cut down on his costs. I checked downstairs and it is a Burnham Independence(?) Is there a valve I should turn back up somewhere to perhaps increase the Steam Pressure perhaps? I figure if the steam pressure is low then no HEAT is making it up this way to the second floor.

Comments

• Tom Hyberger
    Tom Hyberger Member Posts: 2
    Help we are freezing here

I live in Munster Indiana and live on the 2nd floor of a duplex with Steam heating. The thermostat is downstairs and the peopel leave it on 75. The problem is that it's only 64 in our apartment. We check the vents constantly and they are NEVER working. Just now I checked the radiator in every room and ONE coil is getting heat on one vent, the central vent is pumping, and EVERY OTHER vent is cold. Is there any solution available that I could do myself, because the landlord is selling the property atm and not appearing interested in helping.
  • Brad White
    Brad White Member Posts: 2,399
    Get new vents

When you say vents do you mean fins on the radiators? The vents are small chrome cylinders located about half-way up the radiator opposite the entry valve. Assuming one-pipe steam of course.

If the air vents are clogged or not passing air, steam cannot enter it is as simple as that.

Replacement vents may run you about $20 each and adjustable ones about $30. Check on line if a local plumbing and heating supply house or Big Box Store is not near you.

Also I have to ask if the valves are open (never assume, must ask).
    "If you do not know the answer, say, "I do not know the answer", and you will be correct!"

-Ernie White, my Dad
  • Chris_82
    Chris_82 Member Posts: 321

Call the local health inspector, have the vents replaced by a lic plumber and withhold rent to pay for cost, you shouldn't be cold this time of year!!! Nor should you be at the mercy of another rooms thermostat!
  • Go outside while the boiler is running

and see if you're getting clouds of steam from the chimney. If so, there is a hole in the boiler above the waterline and it will need to be replaced.

If there are no visible clouds coming from the chimney, have a pro look at it.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • JackEnnisMartin
    JackEnnisMartin Member Posts: 70
    freezing

Hello
    The first principle Dan teachs in his book "The Lost Art of Steam Heating" is :MORE PRESSURE DOES NOT INCREASE HEAT OUTPUT. The normal residental heating system works best under two psig. I am sure the heating system installed by the old guys was sized for this pressure level. The problem you are having sounds like a scummy landlord trick ,I have seen too often. Look for a timer somewhere in the boiler controls. He is turning the boiler off for a long period each day--- this is why you are cold. PLEASE DO NOT TAKE OFF THE VENTS FROM YOUR RADS AND LEAVE THEM OFF!!!!!!!!!!! We had a horrible accident here; that took the life of a mother and her kids. In desperation, to get warm, she removed the vents ---and went to bed .The steam entered the room at night and of course the steam displaced the air in the room and they died from oxygen loss. The firefighters found the venters in a cupboard. The real irony of this awful episode is; a plumber earlier in the week ,had replaced the venters and made sure the connections were tight. I never install vents in a public dwelling house without Locktite compoud that locks the venter in place. Unless you have the correct tools to remove it, the venter remains in place. This lady managed to get them out with the use of a pair of pliers.
    All the best and have a warm 2007
    Jack Ennis Martin
  • Dan_29
    Dan_29 Member Posts: 111
    no heat

It is the landlords job to maintain your heating system not yours. Most municipal health and building codes require 68 degrees between 6am and midnight and 60 degrees between midnight and 6am.

Notify your landlord of the heating problem and confirm with him when repairs will be made(usually within 24 to 48 hours). If he will not commit to repairs or say when he will have a technician out there, call the local health and building inspector, they will cite him and follow up with the threat of housing court action if required.

Assuming he is providing heat as part of your lease, he must maintain the 68/60 degree temperatures as the law requires.

If he is selling the house and hoping to stick the buyer with the problem, the buyer can file a lawsuit against him for failure to disclose housing code violations and possibly irate tenants he will inherit.

Really irate tenants hire a legal services attorney, withold rent, make repairs and file a lawsuit (to recoup the expenses) against the landlord who will not take immediate action.

Hopefully, your landlord will see reason and fix the heat before he steps into a very big mess.

Dan
This discussion has been closed.