Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Christmas Present #3 (Ragu)

S Ebels
S Ebels Member Posts: 2,322
A quote from his post:

"The pipes, pumps, electric controls are nothing without the knowledge to put them together so everything works right. That is priceless."

I'd wager that fewer than 1 in 10 homeowners would be astute enough to make that determination.

Jim, you are definitely one of the sharper pencils in the box. Thanks for realizing what you are looking at!!

Comments

• Constantin
    Constantin Member Posts: 3,796
    The last in the series.... for now.

... so much pipe in so little space... may have been inspired by Ron Jr? Jack installs another neat boiler room in a minimum of space. I note with interest how he chose the two iSeries mixing valves to offer multiple water temperatures... very nifty.

Click on the attachement for a larger version.
  • Constantin
    .... and now for a full-frontal shot...

A system with three temperatures via two iSeries valves... another way to do it!

... click on the attachment for greater detail...
  • Uni R_2
    Uni R_2 Member Posts: 589
    A Masterpiece!!!

• ttekushan_3
    ttekushan_3 Member Posts: 958
    skill, knowledge, patience

Wow.

An example of how HW hydronics should be done.

I'm a steam guy, but gosh, credit where credit is due! If I was the homeowner, I'd put the comfy chair down there just to sit and watch it work.

-Terry
    terry
  • lund
    lund Member Posts: 25

Constantin,

Nice flow arrows and small handles on the shut off flanges.

Thanks for posting,

Lund
  • Jeanne
    Jeanne Member Posts: 1
    Need Heating Education

Live in a four story, 70 family apt. building, heated by 5 Weil-Mclain gas fired steam boilers in tandem. Heating temperature is controlled by an automatic Honeywell system.
    I live on the top floor and have been experiencing an occasional lack of heat. When I do complain to the super within a short time all my radiators are hot. I do know that tenants on the lower floors have been complaining about too much heat.
    Question: What would he have to do to raise-lower the heat?
  • kevin coppinger_4
    kevin coppinger_4 Member Posts: 2,124
  • Constantin
    Two pieces of advice...

... one: Start a new thread as suggested by Kevin.

... two: Have the super hire a good professional to go over the whole system. For example, it might make a lot of sense to install some Thermostatic Relief Valves throughout the building so that everyone can regulate the heat to their own level of comfort. However, that expense may or may not be necessary.. only a site visit will tell the whole story...

... so start a nw thread, and consider putting one of the listed professionals in "Find a Professional" in touch with your super.
  • Constantin
    Just so we're clear....

... this is all Jack Ragusas work. All I did was to post his pictures for him...

... what a marvel though, eh?
  • jim P._2
    jim P._2 Member Posts: 28
    Mr. Ragusos work/Constantines post

I am a lurking HO/Operating engineer and I must say the 3 threads you posted of Mr. Ragusos' work have given me hours of enjoyment. The work is fantastic and I like the way you can zoom into the pictures when you open the attachments. The pipes, pumps, electric controls are nothing without the knowledge to put them together so everything works right. That is priceless. Thanks for the wonderful posts. I think its time to buy a brick. Jim.
  • Ragu_5
    Ragu_5 Member Posts: 315
    Taco I Series Valves....

One thing to remember, is that if you want to keep everything flush on your wall, these units HAVE to be piped off of the left side of the boiler. I had to pipe off to the right side on this job and that is why thee are so many offsets. Jack Ragusa

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • kevin coppinger_4
    kevin coppinger_4 Member Posts: 2,124
    how do you....

like the i-valves? I used my first one this past month and so far it is good(once I figured out the proper side of the arrow on the reset ratio!)pretty easy to wire, and boiler protection in a neat package.....kpc

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • gerry gill
    gerry gill Member Posts: 3,078
    gwgillplumbingandheating.com
    Serving Cleveland's eastern suburbs from Cleveland Heights down to Cuyahoga Falls.

• Ragu_5
    Kevin....

I think that the I Series valves are a good value. I will have to write Taco a letter, because their stuff is affordable and gives the average person a chance to experience outdoor reset/mixing/fuel savings.

• Steven Gronski
    Steven Gronski Member Posts: 98
    GO Green.....

Beautiful job,very neat, excellent work.... to bad you didnt go green on those pumps to enhance the rest of the fine Taco products you used. I am a Taco guy 100% on everything I use now on heating, from the pumps, to the low water cut offs, zone valves, pressure differential bypass valves, 4900 series air eliminators, I series valves, Zone controls,auto fill valves. Great Products and great support on any and everything they have,especially sisnce I have the luxury to just walk into Taco any time I want since they are only 3 minutes from my shop. Quick question.......are you using the I series setpoints or the ones with out door reset? Also am I correct in assuming that the low voltage is not done on them yet?

• Ragu_5
    Steven...

Yes, I am using outdoor reset on both valves; one is for staple-up radiant and one is for Hi-Cap baseboard which I designed around a maximum water temp of 160 at an outdoor temp of -15. Yes, it DID increase the amount of baseboard in the house.

Yeah, I know what you mean about being totally green. Pretty tough for me (at this point) to give up on the 3 speed Grundfoss pumps with integral flochecks, though. See ya. Jack.

• Joe Mattiello
    Joe Mattiello Member Posts: 705

thanks for the great plug steven!!
    Joe Mattiello
    N. E. Regional Manger, Commercial Products
    Taco Comfort Solutions
  • Ragu_5
    I like the Taco stuff...

Steven: good posting; I have taken it under advisement.

Joe Mattiello: I have called you for advice and you have been very good! I don't want to bother the big guy (but I will); you folks are doing an outstanding job down at Taco in Cranston, R.I.

I am not only impressed with the affordability of your products, but also with the respect with which you have treated your employees. I am VERY IMPRESSED with what you guys offer to the people who work at Taco.

To Johnny White: I'll come down to meet you in 2007. Your ads in the trade mags, and the company attitude towards the people who work there are impressive! Good job! Jack

• D107
    D107 Member Posts: 1,849
    great work--where'd you get flow arrows/#s etc?

This discussion has been closed.