Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

boilers

Options
grindog
grindog Member Posts: 121
with any type of condensing modulating boiler the lower retun temps are fine and you dont have to worry about thermal shock.

Comments

• Andy_17
    Andy_17 Member Posts: 30
    Options
    what type of boiler?

Have to replace a natural gas, direct vent boiler on a heating system that has been added to. Existing Hot water coils in air handlers appox 60,00 btu's & added 5 zones of radiant appox.50,00 btu's.
    Due to the difference in temps. required what would be the best type of boiler to use?
  • John_82
    John_82 Member Posts: 63
    Options

Buderus GA244, sealed combustion, Direct vent boiler. It'll work real nice for the high temp coil because it has flexible iron, it can take some cooler return temps (from radiant) than other boilers.
  • clammy
    clammy Member Posts: 3,111
    Options
    Munchkin vision 2

Take a look at htp munchkin ,with vision 2 will give a true 2 temp system and priority domestic hot water ,The plus being when your radiant calls with no other high temp demands the units aquastat will be ran by the desinged radiant temp so the valves will be wide open as hi temp zones call boiler ramps up and the three way valve will adjust to needed postion to not over shoot system design temp(radiant) . Looking to up date a munchkin that i installed 2 seasons ago HO wants more radiant and with no then one zone i'll be looking into adding a vision 2 and doing a little piping plus side is that when the radiant alone is calling it will bring the return temp down to the condensing point .peace and good luck clammy
    R.A. Calmbacher L.L.C. HVAC
    NJ Master HVAC Lic.
    Mahwah, NJ
    Specializing in steam and hydronic heating
  • Ted_9
    Ted_9 Member Posts: 1,718
    Options
  • grindog
    grindog Member Posts: 121
    Options
    boiler selection

the munchkin is a good choice have a few running with these applications and no complaints yet, but many on this forum have alot to say about munchkin. As of lately i have been very intrigued to try one of the lochinvar knight boilers. It comes with outdoor reset and a circ for the priority loop. The good thing about these boilers is that there are a few models to choose from and they all have great modulation rates.
    I just bid a couple of jobs and speced these boilers, cant wait to get my hands on one.
  • Andy_17
    Andy_17 Member Posts: 30
    Options

thanks for the reply, 1 more question, will we need to pipe a mixing vale on the return to bring up the temps, or is there a internal system in place? Thanks
This discussion has been closed.