Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Radiant Wall

Options
ALH_4
ALH_4 Member Posts: 1,790
Were these extruded plates or sheet metal plates? Can you describe your installation method? Thanks

-Andrew

Comments

• Keith_8
    Keith_8 Member Posts: 399
    Options
    Radiant Wall

Installed my 1st radiant wall yesterday in my cousins house.

We used the metal transfer plates with the tubing @ 9" centers. Silicone in the groove, 170' loop length. expansion loop and outdoor reset.

When it 1st fired up we heard 1 slight expansion noise.

Very nice,

Keith
  • Keith_8
    Keith_8 Member Posts: 399
    Options
    extruded plates

Our application was on a cold wall. We used 1" foil faced styrofoam insulation on both side of the 2x4 framing. On the interior side we ran the 9" center loops around 3/4" strips of plywood.

Keith
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    To eliminate noise completely...

use non electric TRV's for room control. Danfoss, Oventrop.

Been there, done that, most comfortable system I ever installed.

ME
  • kevin coppinger_4
    kevin coppinger_4 Member Posts: 2,124
    Options
    how would..

you mount someting like that Mark? I imagine it could look kind of funky if not done right...kpc

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Peter Giancola
    Peter Giancola Member Posts: 2
    Options
    Radiant wall with Steam!!

This topic reminds me of a project we did here in Rutland, VT, recently. We were renovating the basement of an old brick school here in town for a new pre-school. The wet returns ran around the entire perimeter of the room at about 20" off the floor. We needed to box out the returns so the kids wouldn't get burned on them. As part of the work, we stripped the existing masonry walls, applied high-R sheathing between our furring strips and framed a 6" wide ledge around the wet return. We left an air gap between the return and the rest of the wall.

This has worked wonderfully. The heat from the returns flows throughout the wall cavity creating a giant radiant panel. The sheetrock walls are warm but not hot. We haven't needed any auxillary heat for this space all winter and the room has been toasty warm! Add in the fact that there is no exposed radiation to get hot and you have a winner!!

Just another example of how "radiant works"!!

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• kevin coppinger_4
    kevin coppinger_4 Member Posts: 2,124
    Options
    Peter!

how ya' doing...I haven't seen you in 20 years! Imagine running into you on the wall! kpc

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Peter Giancola
    Peter Giancola Member Posts: 2
    Options
    I thought that was you!

Kevin -

Good to hear from ya!! I knew you were plumbing up in the Maine area from a few conversations with your brothers over some beers. I still see your dad from time to time too. He's a great guy! Glad to see you are doing so well. I am also impressed by the fact that you are definitely one of the 'new breed' of technologically advanced plumbers in the world.

We recently purchased both St. Peter's School and the former Patch Wegner factory here in town. I also became responsible for the Knights of Columbus building here. All have steam heat and I read Dan's "Lost Art" book so I could have a clue. Next thing I know, I'm hooked. Now I end up here every once in a while!!

It's a bit of a change for a dumb contractor/civil engineer, but I really find this stuff interesting!!

Give me a call next time you come home and we can grab a beer!!

Pete

There was an error rendering this rich post.

This discussion has been closed.