Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.
Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.

another co story

Mark Hunt
Mark Hunt Member Posts: 4,909
depressurization issues.

The article mentions that the A/C system was running. Leaky return ducting can and will cause depressurization and teh exhaust gases will be pulled into the distribution system.

It will be interesting to see if the "alarm" system included CO.

My bet is that the next story blames a "faulty water heater" for these deaths.

The "deadly facts" portion of the story starts off with some bad "facts" as well. JAMA puts the number of CO deaths at over 2000 per year. Even that number is too low. Over 40,000 people a year seek medical treatment for CO exposure each year, and those are just the ones that get diagnosed correctly. Most cases go undetected or misdiagnosed.

A sad story.

Mark H

<A HREF="http://www.heatinghelp.com/getListed.cfm?id=238&Step=30">To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"</A>

Comments

  • Jim Davis_3
    Jim Davis_3 Member Posts: 578


    If they don't blame the water heater it would surely be a "BAD CHIMNEY". It will be interesting to see if this family had been ill prior to this tragedy. Remember this is a doctor that would typically indicate the level of CO awareness of the medical field.
  • John R. Hall
    John R. Hall Member Posts: 2,246
    Gas-powered central a/c

    It will be interesting to see how they describe this. Would that be propane gas? Most a/c/ systems I'm aware of are powered by electricity. Duh.
  • jim sokolovic
    jim sokolovic Member Posts: 439
    If you presented all of the symptoms...

    of CO poisoning to your doctor, they would set you up with a daily migraine shot as the "cure". Of course, you would agree to this - after all, the info-pamphlet in the waiting room told you that's what you needed, too!
  • Mark Hunt
    Mark Hunt Member Posts: 4,909
    Uhhhhhhhh


    Am I missing something here????

    Gas powered A/C????

    Another reason NOT to believe what read in the newspaper.

    Mark H

    To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • John R. Hall
    John R. Hall Member Posts: 2,246
    Duh

    A contractor friend of mine saw the story and said that the only natural gas or propane A/C systems are absorbtion units that are mounted outdoors. So how did the CO get inside??? Inquiring minds want to know. I've e-mailed the reporter for a further explanation (doubt that I'll get one).
  • BillW@honeywell
    [email protected] Member Posts: 1,099
    Could be a York Triathalon...

    > Am I missing something here????

    >

    > Gas powered

    > A/C????

    >

    > Another reason NOT to believe what

    > read in the newspaper.

    >

    > Mark H

    >

    > _A

    > HREF="http://www.heatinghelp.com/getListed.cfm?id=

    > 238&Step=30"_To Learn More About This

    > Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in

    > "Find A Professional"_/A_



    A couple years ago, they had a natural gas powered internal combustion engine running the compressor on their AC units. Sure looked strange to see a spark plug when you took the jacket off. They were discontinued, I think, but itsvery possible some could still be out there. It would have been outside, but the exhaust could have gotten sucked into the house. Just a thought.
  • BillW@honeywell
    [email protected] Member Posts: 1,099
    Could be a York Triathalon...

    A couple years ago, they had a natural gas powered internal combustion engine running the compressor on their AC units. Sure looked strange to see a spark plug when you took the jacket off. They were discontinued, I think, but itsvery possible some could still be out there. It would have been outside, but the exhaust could have gotten sucked into the house. Just a thought.
  • John R. Hall
    John R. Hall Member Posts: 2,246
    June 20 update

    Today's follow-up:

    CO poisoning confirmed in deaths in Rock Hill

    Autopsies have confirmed that Dr. Laurence Spiro, his wife, Heather Spiro, and houseguest Judith Lax died of carbon monoxide poisoning, officials said yesterday.
    The investigation doesn't end there, said District Attorney Steve Lungen. "We still want to take this to its conclusion. The question will be as to whether or not there was criminal negligence," he said.
    State police, district attorney's investigators and an engineering consultant from Texas convened yesterday at the Spiros' home on Scarborough Circle in Emerald Green, Rock Hill, to examine the home's propane-powered heating system and air conditioning system.
    Lungen said it appears that a malfunction in the heating system produced the carbon monoxide and the air conditioning system, which shares some ductwork, drew the CO through the house.
    State police said another, more detailed examination, which will include dismantling and checking the Spiros' heating system, will be done with more specialized engineers.
    The Spiros' relatives were at the house during yesterday's investigation along with their lawyer, Bob Krutman. Krutman said he was there for the sake of thoroughness.
    Services for the Spiros will be held at 11 a.m. tomorrow at the Bloomfield Cooper Jewish Chapel in Manalapan, N.J.

    Why was the furnace running?
  • Mark Hunt
    Mark Hunt Member Posts: 4,909
    I guess


    if you report it often enough..............

    it becomes the truth???

    Mark H

    To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Jim Davis_3
    Jim Davis_3 Member Posts: 578
    Expert from Texas?

    Bet he has a lot of heating experience! How do you test a system after it is dismantled? The air conditioner and heating system shared the same duct work! Sounds like they might be on to something! Next thing they will report is that it wasn't installed in the attic like they do in Texas. If they follow the same guidelines as Connecticut, as long as the person that worked on it was ignorant it is okay.
    New Story - People operating Blood Mobile in Orlando sickened by carbon monoxide. Had CO alarm that didn't go off, but it was tested to be good. Sounds like a functioning UL alarm to me. Got to be closer to death before they go off.
  • BillW@honeywell
    [email protected] Member Posts: 1,099
    This sounds awfully familiar...

    A whole family on Long Island died a couple years ago, when the same thing happened. Supposedly, there were wiring issues, and the heat and the ac were running at the same time. The heat exchanger was cracked, and the fan circulated the co thru the house.
  • John R. Hall
    John R. Hall Member Posts: 2,246
    Jim

    Not to make light of this but I am reminded of an old blooper headline, "Two die, one fatally."
  • Jim Davis_3
    Jim Davis_3 Member Posts: 578
    headline

    Just saw this sports headline the other day. "Local baseball team is 32-0 when scoring more runs than their opponents."
This discussion has been closed.

Welcome

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!