Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Cooling Boiler Room

Options
Ed_31
Ed_31 Member Posts: 2
It is a residential boiler that is 40 years old. I am not sure how hot it gets but was told when it was being serviced that the room gets too hot and it is not good for the boiler. I will try to get a temperature reading.

Comments

• Ed_31
    Ed_31 Member Posts: 2
    Options
    Hot Boiler Room

I have a small boiler room that has a 6" wall vent. The room gets to hot and I am looking for ways to make it cooler. Has anyone used an automatic fan to cool of the boiler room. Does anyone have any other ideas on how to cool the room?
  • Michal
    Michal Member Posts: 213
    Options
    ideas

Well one Idea I can say is to use a insulated flue like metalbestos, second is maybe put in a louver if possible??? I assume you are getting alot of the heat radiating from the boiler. What is the temperature in the room??? How big boiler??? What are you considering too hot???
  • tls_9
    tls_9 Member Posts: 89
    Options
    Thats

quite common in commercial / industrial boiler rooms.

Automatic or manualy controled intake and exhaust fans.

just make sure you never starve the boiler of combustion air.

tom
  • Michal
    Michal Member Posts: 213
    Options
    temperature

Well first thing? Is the boiler insulated??? next, the boiler can handle the heat, it is the other items such as wires, motors, etc in the rom that might be strained. You can put a louver/register near the top and bottom of the room, that way you get natural air circulation???. Honestly, I have been in many residential boiler rooms which were hot, but not to the point its excessive. I am wondering if it was just from a technician preference that it was too hot for him to work in there?????
  • Mike20
    Mike20 Member Posts: 37
    Options
    Save money with insulation

Don't cool your boiler room, Insulate and save money. Just think about this- it took oil or gas that you have to pay for to heat the boiler room. if you vent that heat outside you are blowing money out the window.

If you insulate the boiler, piping and anything else that is hot you will keep the heat inside the boiler where it belongs and kill 2 birds with one stone. You will have a cooler boiler room and save on fuel at the same time.

The boiler should be looked at by a professional before starting any project such as this to make sure that it is operating safely or there is not something Malfunctioning that is causing the heat condition

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • John Cockerill
    John Cockerill Member Posts: 94
    Options
    hot water or steam

Take a look at Exquisite heat. We cool the boiler room down by puting the heat into the occupied space.

John Cockerill Exquisite Heat
    www.Exqheat.com
  • Ken_8
    Ken_8 Member Posts: 1,640
    Options
    Listen to Michal,

Most older boilers had squat for insulation.

We had a utility room for laundry and boiler, in a nearby apartment house. The boiler was a W/M '76' with a P/F 'J' gas power burner and had only 1" F.G. insulation between the block and the cabinet/jacket (and at least 25% of that was frayed or torn). We pulled the jacket off and put in R-11 batts. On the top, where the steam chest void was closer to 6" than 2", we simply doubled the thickness to two.

Before we re-insulted the pipes and the vent pipe we tested again. The temperature dropped 8° in the room on an identical outdoor temperature day. We only picked up 2 more degrees when we repaired the pipe insulation and the relatively short exposed vent pipe.

Because the laundry room air is so laden with lint, our concerns for lint laden combustion air and the dynamics of dryers being on or off and the resulting changes in draft, we opted to put a 7" flange on the bruner air inlet, run smoke pipe to an outside window above the snow line and get all combustion air from outside the room.

Works like a charm!

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
This discussion has been closed.