Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

horsehair

Options
Al Corelli
Al Corelli Member Posts: 454
Hiloti makes a special sawzall blade for cutting concrete blocks and stones. I bought one "just in case" I ever need it. It was 70 bucks! I hope I'll never need it.

The Hilti guy says it will cut through plaster, stucco, bocks and bricks.

It looks like it may be just the ticket for blasting a hole in some plaster.

Comments

• Dave Palmer_3
    Dave Palmer_3 Member Posts: 388
    Options
    hope they made glue from the rest

any suggestions/ideas cutting horsehair plaster and laths? I've tried skill saw,sawzall,keyhole,dremel,diamond wheel grinder.Tried all speeds,tooth size,etc. with no clear cut winner over the years. Any thoughts/ideas, thanks Dave
  • clammy
    clammy Member Posts: 3,111
    Options
    horsehair

I,ve found that the carbide saws all blades work well for most small sizes 10 x 10 grill cut out but on larger holes like a/c returns i usually try to screw up a few pieces of firing strips to the plaster cieling to prevent alot of chipping and help elimate vibration which usually cut down on chipping and cracking .I've found the best way also is to hold your saw all really steady and let the blade do the work but if the wood lathe is already lose then try the as i call it the screw up frame method and cut the hole it is a little time comsuping but it works .After a couple cut out you'll get a feeling for it but most of all take it slow and the tool do the work .Some times framing the cut out first from above works well also and a pneunic or passload gun are great for older homes screwing them most times is very hard because the wood is so old and hard regular nailing usually leads to cracks but with a nail gun it's so fast there usually is no cracking and when screwing don't use drywall screws they all most always snap use a # 10 grade screw there hard core good luck and peace clammy
    R.A. Calmbacher L.L.C. HVAC
    NJ Master HVAC Lic.
    Mahwah, NJ
    Specializing in steam and hydronic heating
  • hr
    hr Member Posts: 6,106
    Options
    Be careful and wear a respirator!

Horsehair in old plaster may contain arsenic! Hides were soaked in a lime arsenic slurry to soften the hair for easy removal. The waste "cake" was sold to the plasters.

Tannery workers often developed a disease called "blackfoot disease" from exposure, according to an article from Kevin Hansen of the enviromental firm Tetra Tech in JLC magazine. He claims a lab can test samples for around 50 bucks.

It is always a good idea to wear at least a dust mask with any concrete and plaster cutting operations.

I agree with Clammy's method. For round holes a carbide holesaw is less stress, on the plaster, then a sawzall.

hot rod

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Dave Palmer_3
    Dave Palmer_3 Member Posts: 388
    Options
    thanks guys

the sawzall is the best when you angle it in to start the cut,just a **** to do. I wear dust mask and eyewear,one tiny piece can ruin your whole day. thanks Dave
  • lchmb
    lchmb Member Posts: 2,997
    Options
    I like

Ever try the rotozip? I have used it a number of time's and slices right on through. Just remember to keep some spair bit's with you. That stuff is tough to cut neat..
  • jim lockard
    jim lockard Member Posts: 1,059
    Options
    Old Plaster

I use several methods not all succesfully, I duct tape the ceiling then mark it and cut with a carbide grit sawsall blade. 2nd method is to mark the ceiling, chip the plaster off of the wood slats and cut the slats with a jigsaw or sawsall. 3rd method make a template out of 1/4" plywood drywall screw it to the ceiling and cut out using a masnary drill bite (no hammer drill) and a carbide grit blade in the jigsaw or sawsall. 4th method if the plaster is really loose on the slates I cut the hole from joist to joist and rework the opening with drywall to fit.Best Wishes J.Lockard
  • Dave Stroman
    Dave Stroman Member Posts: 765
    Options

An angle grinder with a thin blade works good too. Makes a lot of dust.

Dave in Denver
    Dave Stroman
  • John S.
    John S. Member Posts: 260
    Options
    old circular saw...

When I moved in my 1927 bungalow the ceilings were practically falling down. I don't believe it was due to water or poor craftsmanship, but by the big trucks going down my street for the last 75 years or so (can feel the house shake a little).

That being said, I hired and old plasterer and ended up prepping the ceilings for him to cut costs. The 8" coves were in great shape, so we decided to cut as close to them as possible without damaging them or making it too difficult on the plaster man to feather them in.

I ended up with a dust mask a ladder and an old circular saw, cutting the perimeter of every ceiling in the house. It was messy, but it sure worked well. I had the benefit of not living in the house at the time as well. I then lathed the ceilings for him and he did the rest. Hard to believe, but he did four good size ceilings for $1000 (rough and finish). that was 8 years ago and they look as good as new!

This discussion has been closed.