Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Hart&Krause boilers

Options
Mike20
Mike20 Member Posts: 37
It sounds to me like you could benefit from using a modulating Gas valve as apposed to trying to individually control the sections of the boiler, This is an expensive proposition and will require a control system upgrade to accommodate the new gas valve. This is not something that you should attempt to do your self. The trouble with this solution is that you will still be dealing with 30 year old technology boiler that at best is working at 70% efficiency. (realistically more like 55%)

If you are serious about saving energy then you should reconsider the re use of this old and out dated technology and start with a re-calculation of the actual heating load in your building. ( According to a study that I read from ASHRAE most boilers are oversized by 30-200% in the city of New York ) I suggest that you start from the beginning and have a professional do a heating load evaluation before you make your next move.
Then it would be very wise and cost effective for you to upgrade to new 95% efficiency gas heating technology.
I have seen savings of 50% and more in cases like yours. If you play your cards right you can let the fuel savings make the payment on the equipment upgrade and have money to spare each month.
MG

<A HREF="http://www.heatinghelp.com/getListed.cfm?id=359&Step=30">To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"</A>

Comments

• Joe_57
    Joe_57 Member Posts: 1
    Options
    Hart&Krause ( Utica ) Boiler

I was wondering if anyone had any information on these sectional boilers. I have a 2,000,000 btu boiler with a single gas train on it and i want to stage each boiler section. Of course i have to individualize each section(6total), but i can not find any info on the boiler. I would guess that it is 25 years old probally more like 30. The boiler is still in great shape, so there is no reason to remove it as of yet. But it is cast iron, so i am limited on reducing water temp. using outdoor reset . So i wanted to combine outdoor reset with a staging control using backnet technology. The boiler mocks the JC series Utica combo boiler package, but again does not have individual burner sections. Please forward me any info that you may have.
    Thanks,
    Joe
This discussion has been closed.