Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

outdoor reset

Options
hydronicsmike
hydronicsmike Member Posts: 855
...is adjusting the differential the Boiler operates on to minimize Boiler Short Cycling. But it does nothing for your System Efficiency. You will potentially still note temperature swings and expansion noises in your heating system. The only thing taking care of that is Outdoor Reset.
Mike

Comments

• grindog_3
    grindog_3 Member Posts: 3
    Options
    outdoor reset and oil fired boilers

can you use an outdoor reset control on an oil fired cast iron boiler that is supplying only high temp to baseboard zones. Is there any concern for damaging the boiler with an outdoor reset control
  • Al Letellier
    Al Letellier Member Posts: 781
    Options
    reset

yes you can do it....we do all the time. You do have some concern about the boiler and return temperatures, but there are a number of ways to protect the boiler. Some use bypass piping while others use controls with return temp sensors...the possibilities abound.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Weezbo
    Weezbo Member Posts: 6,232
    Options
    Depending on how large a hammer is being used on the

installation while fastening the outdoor sensors *~/:) ...

Sorry, one of the sixty billion + or - 1 or 2 brain cells wont let me ...use a sledge hammer on another boiler ,ever again...
  • hydronicsmike
    hydronicsmike Member Posts: 855
    Options
    Outdoor Reset Controls

As Al mentioned, it is common practice to Reset Oil Boilers on Outdoor Temperature to gain Fuel Savings and increased System Efficieny and Comfort Levels.

In my opinion, motorized Mixing is the best way to protect the Boiler from Thermal Shock (cold return water temperatures).

Check out www.tekmarcontrols.com or call 250-545-7749 for more information.

If you prefer to use Variable Speed Injection for Mixing, you may want to consider the 361 Mixing Control.

If you prefer a motorized Mixing Valve, the 360 Mixing Control would be a good option.

If you want to do it without Mixing and do straight Boiler Outdoor Reset, then the 260 Boiler Control would be a good match.

I hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Mike
  • BillW@honeywell
    BillW@honeywell Member Posts: 1,099
    Options
    You can also check out...

Honeywell's AQ675. It works with a V5013 mixing valve and a ML6XXX direct coupled actuator. The system is available from any hydronic oriented Honeywell distributor. Go to www.customer.honeywell.com and follow the prompts for a tech sheet & more info.
  • Sweet_3
    Sweet_3 Member Posts: 33
    Options
    260 outdoor reset

I've used the 260 on single stage C.I. boilers with 10 to 25 % savings on fuel bills.
  • Bill Jirik,
    Bill Jirik, Member Posts: 54
    Options

I use reset controls on just about all our high temp (finned tube) jobs here in the midwest and favor the newer electronic models over the old electromechanical ones, but then oil here is something we put in our automobiles, would suspect that condensation and the sulphur in the oil might lead to corrosion on the fireside at lower temperature, perhaps someone with more oil experience could shed some light on this possibility
  • J.C.A._3
    J.C.A._3 Member Posts: 2,981
    Options
    Definately need a by-pass.

There are some wonderful ways of using outdoor reset on any type of system. I'm in the process of using a Taco 3-way mixing valve that has all kinds of options built into a package that fits neatly in 1 hand. Programming with dip switches can control a very varied way of setting things up. This is my first time using their product in this capacity. For the $, if it works as advertised I think it's a steal.

Anyone have some feedback on this i series 3-way? Chris
  • Rocky_2
    Rocky_2 Member Posts: 89
    Options
    Chris,

We use the i-valve extensively here in Fairbanks, AK. Have had real good results with them. Just make sure you pipe them in primary/secondary as drawn. Just another tool in the ol' hydronics tool belt. They fit a nice niche market. Have not had any problems yet and have about a dozen or so in use.
    I just LOVE all the cool stuff coming to market!
    Happy hydronic-ing!
    Rocky
  • Weezbo
    Weezbo Member Posts: 6,232
    Options
    Like Rocky Says *~/:) They are a nicely behaving valve.

you read the lit. and you will see they have a lot of bang for the dollah :) The taco pump block i have had alot of sucess with also. Go With it :)
  • John Cockerill
    John Cockerill Member Posts: 94
    Options
    Indoor control

There is one alternative that analyses thermostat activity over time and adjusts boiler temps while maintaining a high circulation rate. It saves fuel and is very comfy. Folk say I sell my stuff too much. Well who dosen't. Man has a problem. I have the solution. No offense just the truth.

John Cockerill Exquisite Heat
    www.Exqheat.com
  • Jed_2
    Jed_2 Member Posts: 781
    Options
    Gee, THREE parts

needed with Honeywell vs. ONE simply elegant i-valve from Taco. Hmmmmmmmm!

Jed
  • Joe Moody
    Joe Moody Member Posts: 22
    Options
    No need for Outdoor reset

The Beckett Heat Manager is a great control option for improving your system efficiency and saving money on your heating bills. However, the Heat Manager is not an outdoor reset control, it does not require an outdoor sensor which makes the installation much easier. Beckett calls it a "fuel economizer." The price on the Heat Manager is very inexpensive compared to what you would pay for an outdoor reset control. We have sold many of these controls over the last six months and we have had very positive feedback on it from our customers. Here is a little idea from Beckett's website on how it works.

HeatManager automatically adjusts burner firing patterns and average boiler water temperature to match system heat load. Its action is similar to outdoor reset method, but does not require an outdoor sensor. HeatManager works with the existing boiler control/AquastatTM to reduce fuel consumption, wear on parts and flue emissions. For complete, detailed explanation, and reference on HeatManager visit

Click Here For Brochure.

Click Here For Data Sheet.

God Luck,

Joe Moody

www.Patriot-Supply.com
  • randy_17
    randy_17 Member Posts: 3
    Options
    heat manager

is the heat manager compatable with burners other than beckett?
  • John Cockerill
    John Cockerill Member Posts: 94
    Options
    indoor reset

Indoor information from the thermostat is the most acurate method of replacing heat loss. Combined with a 60% circulation, there is absolute efficiency, and comfort with no banging or radical change of temperature from either the cold start or temperature maintenance mode. Differentials are used to protect against short cycling. As the heat loss of the building is affected by many building variables the thermostat will provide the changing heat loss recovery requirements. That is unless we are heating the out of doors. Then you need an outdoor reset. Exquiste Heat sells for the same price as Heat Manager, and is based to provide BTU replacement at the thermostat. Heat Manager works off a control curve as do all other reset controls. Adjusting the curve to the many variables to heat loss has proven to be difficult and frustrating. Without precise feedback from the heated space, efficiency is a guess at at set up for curve based processes. Most of them get disconnected if the set up is misunderstood.

John Cockerill Exquisite Heat
    www.Exqheat.com
This discussion has been closed.