Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

WiFi T-Stat needed with a caveat...

Options
EricAune
EricAune Member Posts: 432
I've got a decent-sized radiant system going in at a vacation/lake home in central MN with ten zones of radiant heating. We are still in the installation stage but my client is asking for a remote access thermostat for each zone but, and here's the catch because WiFi stats are the norm for these jobs, he wants to be able to place the entire system in "occupied" and "unoccupied" mode without accessing each zone individually via the mobile app or browser.

I've talked with Honeywell, both residential and commercial divisions and the closest I can come would be to install a programmable AQ panel with AQ 1000 stats. Program the panel for each zone and then, using the axillary contacts on the panel, install a simple WiFi stat (because it can be remotely accessed) to place the entire system into occupied or unoccupied mode. The problem here is the AQ system and stats are not accessible remotely and that's a deal breaker. With this configuration all programming, status and feedback would only be accessible on site.

I have installed ecobee but its been a few years and their product lineup has changed since so I am not familiar anymore. I have not installed any other brands with WiFi accessibility so I am reaching out to the pros here.

Can anyone recommend a system that will network together with the ability to place the whole network of zones into occupied and unoccupied mode thru one access point? I need to maintain remote control/status of individual zones as well. I appreciate anything you can add.

*Note* The stats can be multistage but heat only would work as well. At this point I would be open to all possibilities.

Thanks for your help.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

Comments

• Bob Bona_4
    Bob Bona_4 Member Posts: 2,083
    Options
    Prestige won't do it, Eric?
    EricAune
  • EricAune
    Options
    Not according to Honeywell. Its the whole "on touch occupied/unoccupied" function they want. I have not tried it but maybe someone here has and Honeywell support doesn't understand what I'm looking for.

• wogpa67
    wogpa67 Member Posts: 238
    Options
    Uponor makes a network system that can be customized.

http://www.uponorpro.com/Modal-Pages/Products-and-Tools-Modal-Page.aspx?id={0B6A3BF3-D85C-4562-9CDC-3506418C016F}

Also Tekmar has something that could be put together for what he's looking for.
    EricAune
  • Don_197
    Don_197 Member Posts: 184
    Options
    For what he wants, you might as well go to a DDC contractor (I prefer Automated Logic) and have them provide the zone controllers, zone stats, software, and gateway, and program it to do anything he wants. For 10 Zones you'd be near the cost of the heating equipment and radiation. It can be done on the cheap, but you'd have possible myriad issues. I've played with the Tekmar stuff, and it works, but if you don't have local support I wouldn't even attempt it. Whatever controls contractor you go with should be local, and provide free support for a year, and then offer a support package for subsequent years (for a fee ofd course)
    EricAuneSWEI
  • Bob Bona_4
    Bob Bona_4 Member Posts: 2,083
    Options
    Uponor back in the network business? I thought they were going to do what they did best- pipe.

I would be very leery about stepping in that pool.
    EricAune
  • EricAune
    Options
    What about a Master/Slave with room sensors? Take it back to the old school? Programmable master unit with Wifi connectivity.

• Abracadabra
    Abracadabra Member Posts: 1,948
    Options
    I've got two options for you. One of them I actually used, the other I didn't because I couldn't find a distributor that offered the product. You might have better luck.

1 - Honeywell Evohome. Looks like it's a Honeywell UK product. Not sure why it hasn't hit the states yet.

2 - Setup an IFTTT account for your customer and use IFTTT recipes to set an "away" or "occupied". The trigger can be something as simple as a widget on a smartphone or tablet, or something more integrated into a smarthome so that when the alarm is set, the home is in "away" mode. IFTTT can also use geofencing to set "away" and "occupied" so if a phone is within 25 miles of the home, the thermostats will switch to "occupied". IFTTT has recipes already setup for use for ecobee and honeywell single zone stats.

IFTTT Honeywell recipes: https://ifttt.com/recipes/search?q=Honeywell+Single-zone+Thermostat&ac=true

IFTTT ecobee recipes: https://ifttt.com/recipes/search?q=ecobee&ac=false

I ended up setting up #2 along with wireless sensor tags http://wirelesstag.net/ to detect motion and temps. Customer is very happy.
    EricAune
  • wogpa67
    Options
    Looked into that uponor for a customer with 16 zones of radiant. I talked him into Ecobee's.
    Don you are right the uponor was pricey.

• wogpa67
    Options
    Abra
    So the wireless tag system can be integrated with the Ecobee stats?
    Can you also monitor Loop temps, domestic and recirc temps?
  • EricAune
    Options
    Thanks for the info, guys! I'm looking into the IFTTT options now.

• Abracadabra
    Options
    wogpa67 said:

Abra
    So the wireless tag system can be integrated with the Ecobee stats?
    Can you also monitor Loop temps, domestic and recirc temps?

The wireless tags can be used as triggers to set the ecobee to "away" and "occupied" using IFTTT. I haven't tried using the wireless tags to monitor temps on a pipe, but I believe I read on their forum that someone did set them up to read pipe temps to prevent freezing.
  • EricAune
    Options
    Abracadabra,

Could I use something like the "Do Button" app to control all the zones at one time (in and out of occupied mode for example)? Is that the "recipe" part?

This is the first time I've even heard of this so forgive me for my ignorance.

• Abracadabra
    Options
    Yes.. the "Do Button" is a feature of IFTTT. You can create a "Do Away" and "Do Home" which would trigger multiple thermostats.
    EricAune
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    Options
    We can easily deliver a DDC system for less than what a similarly-featured Tekmar solution will cost. Pretty much any one that I can think of. Remote access gets expensive, though, and quickly (at this time.) It can easily triple the controller cost -- even more for a tiny (4 or less analog outs) application. I suspect that delta will narrow in the next 18-24 months based on several upcoming products we are aware of.

Home automation gadgetry is a completely different animal and moves much faster. Too fast for my taste these days.
  • tim smith
    tim smith Member Posts: 2,753
    Options
    A real simple method would be plain jane digital stats ie Wirsbo dt10 or the like for all sub zones with say the main zone being a ecobee or Nest or whatever for wifi control. Run all the other zones through a zone panel then Just energize a nc ice cube relay that will open the transformer output wire on the zone panel with the wifi stat during away. All will be open when wifi is stat is off. If wifi should fail. The stats will be back in heating mode although? maybe not all bad in Minnesota
  • EricAune
    Options
    Thanks, Tim. The problem is they want access to all zones via wifi.