Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Approximate age for an American Standard series 6B J5 boiler?

Options
I'm looking for assistance in determining an approximate date of manufacture for an American Standard Series 6B J5 boiler. I already know that it's old and inefficient. It's currently in service in a residential gravity hot water heating system.

Thanks!

Comments

• bob elmore
    bob elmore Member Posts: 41
    Options
    american standard

I sold american standard boilers in the late 60's early 70's
    that boiler had been discontinued @ that time. that's all
    I can offer.
  • G Averill_2
    G Averill_2 Member Posts: 48
    Options

Neither my R52 (1952) American Standard book or 4th Edition Beacon Boiler Reference Book show this boiler.
  • Kevin O'Hornett
    Kevin O'Hornett Member Posts: 3
    Options
    American Standard boiler age

Thanks, fellas,

We managed to find the manual for the American Standard series B6 J5 boiler and it was manufactured in 1961 - 46 going on 47 years old. It's still working but efficiency is another matter. I'm pretty sure it will be, as my kid says about discarded things, "going on the History Channel."

Again, thanks. This is why I like Dan's website.
  • Boilerpro_5
    Boilerpro_5 Member Posts: 407
    Options
    Actually

Most of the old gas fired atmospheric burnered design AS boilers I have tested show firing efficiencies right up there with new atmospheric type boilers. There are greater stand by losses, but when firing do very well. My old G-2 and several others in neighboring houses, both steam and hot water, show about 78% efficiency during combustion tests and are ging strong. Yes, you'd be alot better off with a mod con, but your typically not as bad as you might believe.

Boilerpro

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
This discussion has been closed.