To get email notification when someone adds to a thread you're following, click on the star in the thread's header and it will turn yellow; click again to turn it off. To edit your profile, click on the gear.
The Wall has a powerful search engine that will go all the way back to 2002. Use "quotation marks" around multiple-word searches. RIGHT-CLICK on the results and choose Open Link In New Window so you'll be able to get back to your results. Happy searching!
In fairness to all, we don't discuss pricing on the Wall. Thanks for your cooperation.

Frozen underground plastic water pipe.

I love you man...

unless your reaaaaaaly quick :-)

Just another set back to not using copper :-)

(where's ken when you need him)

I use to hook up a welder to the curb stop and the main inside line, can;t do that with plastic :-)

• Steve BergersonSteve Bergerson Posts: 38Member
    How do I thaw a plastic underground water pipe?

Here in Northern Minnesota, we have had sub zero weather with no snow this year. Many people are experiencing problems with frozen water and septic pipes.

I need to thaw a 1" black plastic water line that is burried 6 feet below ground and is 30' long. I know some use steamers, but I can't find a source for them. Any suggestions would be apprecieated.
  • D luxD lux Posts: 230Member

if its a block wall it might be air droping down the core bust a hole in the block and try a hair dryer . let us know if it works

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"

The freeze is 15 feet away from the building foundation, under 6 feet of earth. I used an electricians fish tape to probe down the line to measure how far away from the building the freeze starts.
  • John FelcianoJohn Felciano Posts: 411Member

We've had great luck thawing these types of lines out by pumping hot water into them.We made up a rig that uses a propane burner,a transfer pump, and 1/4" copper tube.

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • John CockerillJohn Cockerill Posts: 94Member
    frozen pipe

Might try a hot water flush, fish down the pipe with a smaller sized 3/4 plastic pipe. You can get the pipe at an Irrigation supply house.
  • ScottScott Posts: 5,884Member
    Why Not

Purchase a roll of the smallest pex tubing you can, hook it up to the hot water heater with a backflow preventer and a small pump. Then fish it down the line. Turn on the pump when you get to the blockage.

This should eat right thru a frozen line.

I would suggest turning off the main unless your reeeeaaaaly quick .

• bullbull Posts: 2Member
    frozzen pipe

You can rent a jet water snake at most rental places.
    It will fit down the black pipe you have.
    Just hook it up to hot water.
    The standard jet snake pushes a jet at about 1000psi.
    That will work for sure.
    I've done this my self more than once.
    Good luck.......
    Maybe I can use a plastic welder...

I know, I know.... I didn't use copper

Maybe I'll find someone with a plastic welder and try that.... ;-)
  • GaryGary Posts: 29Member
    Buy a Arctic Blaster

Its so simple it will blow your mind , and it will only take a half a gallon of water and 15 minutes to thaw that line.
  • Dan JoyceDan Joyce Posts: 3Member
    Thawing plastic water pipe

1st Need lead pot burner
    2nd 6" well casing pipe,capped top and bottom,20"+-high
    cut top 3/4"nipple in top,3/4"tee,15 lb releif on top,bush bull of tee for snifter valve with core removed.
    3rd 3/8" hose to snifter,1/2" hose sewer.
    4th Fill 1/3 water,set on burner,fire up,10 minutes steam,hose down pipe,will go by itself (little help)when in ice.Runs about 15 minutes.
    Weld top & bottom & nipple.
    Will go over 75 ft.Never really measured.
  • Dan JoyceDan Joyce Posts: 3Member
    Artic Blaster

What is it in detail
    Arctic Blaster

Just ordered one! Thanks for the advice!

For $500, including shipping, this seems like a great unit. Simple design, no moving parts, and includes 2 50' coils of braided tubing... 1/4" & 3/8".

Also, it doesn't require a connection to a water supply... which is a plus when it is the main line you are trying to thaw.

Check it out at
This discussion has been closed.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!