Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Frozen underground plastic water pipe.

I love you man...

unless your reaaaaaaly quick :-)

Just another set back to not using copper :-)

(where's ken when you need him)

I use to hook up a welder to the curb stop and the main inside line, can;t do that with plastic :-)

Comments

• Steve Bergerson
    Steve Bergerson Member Posts: 38
    How do I thaw a plastic underground water pipe?

Here in Northern Minnesota, we have had sub zero weather with no snow this year. Many people are experiencing problems with frozen water and septic pipes.

I need to thaw a 1" black plastic water line that is burried 6 feet below ground and is 30' long. I know some use steamers, but I can't find a source for them. Any suggestions would be apprecieated.
  • D lux_2
    D lux_2 Member Posts: 230

if its a block wall it might be air droping down the core bust a hole in the block and try a hair dryer . let us know if it works

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • Steve Bergerson

The freeze is 15 feet away from the building foundation, under 6 feet of earth. I used an electricians fish tape to probe down the line to measure how far away from the building the freeze starts.
  • John Felciano
    John Felciano Member Posts: 411
    Frozen

We've had great luck thawing these types of lines out by pumping hot water into them.We made up a rig that uses a propane burner,a transfer pump, and 1/4" copper tube.

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • John Cockerill
    John Cockerill Member Posts: 94
    frozen pipe

Might try a hot water flush, fish down the pipe with a smaller sized 3/4 plastic pipe. You can get the pipe at an Irrigation supply house.
  • ScottMP
    ScottMP Member Posts: 5,884
    Why Not

Purchase a roll of the smallest pex tubing you can, hook it up to the hot water heater with a backflow preventer and a small pump. Then fish it down the line. Turn on the pump when you get to the blockage.

This should eat right thru a frozen line.

I would suggest turning off the main unless your reeeeaaaaly quick .

Scott

• bull
    bull Member Posts: 2
    frozzen pipe

You can rent a jet water snake at most rental places.
    It will fit down the black pipe you have.
    Just hook it up to hot water.
    The standard jet snake pushes a jet at about 1000psi.
    That will work for sure.
    I've done this my self more than once.
    Good luck.......
  • Steve Bergerson
    Maybe I can use a plastic welder...

I know, I know.... I didn't use copper

Maybe I'll find someone with a plastic welder and try that.... ;-)
  • Gary
    Gary Member Posts: 29
    Buy a Arctic Blaster

Its so simple it will blow your mind , and it will only take a half a gallon of water and 15 minutes to thaw that line.
  • Dan Joyce
    Dan Joyce Member Posts: 3
    Thawing plastic water pipe

1st Need lead pot burner
    2nd 6" well casing pipe,capped top and bottom,20"+-high
    cut top 3/4"nipple in top,3/4"tee,15 lb releif on top,bush bull of tee for snifter valve with core removed.
    3rd 3/8" hose to snifter,1/2" hose sewer.
    4th Fill 1/3 water,set on burner,fire up,10 minutes steam,hose down pipe,will go by itself (little help)when in ice.Runs about 15 minutes.
    Weld top & bottom & nipple.
    Will go over 75 ft.Never really measured.
  • Dan Joyce
    Dan Joyce Member Posts: 3
    Artic Blaster

What is it in detail
  • Steve Bergerson
    Arctic Blaster

Just ordered one! Thanks for the advice!

For $500, including shipping, this seems like a great unit. Simple design, no moving parts, and includes 2 50' coils of braided tubing... 1/4" & 3/8".

Also, it doesn't require a connection to a water supply... which is a plus when it is the main line you are trying to thaw.

Check it out at http://www.arcticblaster.com
This discussion has been closed.