Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Noisy boiler

Options
I have a Smith 8 series with a Carlin 99 and it is noisy,rumble up the chimney. Tried many nozzles,etc. Any suggestions.

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,330
    Options
    Get the burner properly tuned with the appropriate test equipment.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    Grallert
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,505
    Options
    Is this a new problem?

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,546
    Options
    If combustion is good but noisy with a Carlin you can usually quiet the fire by a combination of adjusting the air band and the burner drawer assembly.

If that doesn't help you may be able to down fire slightly to reduce the noise.

Need a competent technician and MUST set up with instruments.
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,841
    Options
    HB Smith with the 99 Carlin is always noisy. I think it's the squat height of the block with the rear flue.
    What's the model# of the Smith? I'll post tomorrow the correct nozzle and starting points on the air and head settings.
    Ah the hell with it. Just put in a Riello.
  • HVACNUT
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Haven't heard from you. Here's the setting for your boiler with the 99 Carlin. The columns after the nozzle are pump psi, air shutter, head position and air setting. Note 1 on the air setting signifies a single slot air band. Keep in mind these are just starting points. Final adjustments must be done with a combustion analyzer and 0 smoke.
    Never typically use Monarch nozzles (only on an original Blue Ray and praise god there aren't too many left) if you can't find one, you can use a W Delavan.
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,546
    Options
    Blue Ray, there's a flash back. John Cameron Swazy. Figured they would be all ripped out, gone or converted to yellow flame. Must be.......35 years
  • HVACNUT
    Options
    > @EBEBRATT-Ed said:
    > Blue Ray, there's a flash back. John Cameron Swazy. Figured they would be all ripped out, gone or converted to yellow flame. Must be.......35 years

Most have been converted or replaced in my area (Suffolk County Long Island NY) I'll be happy when they're all gone, converted or not. Heavy mothers too for a steel boiler.