Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Converting High Pressure Steam to Low Pressure Steam

Options
Hi, I'm new to the site. I did browse around the threads to see if this topic was discussed but didn't find anything, but my apologies if it already was.
I work at a large commercial facility that produces our own high pressure steam (100 psi) to provide the facility with heat and hot water. That same boiler also provides steam to a neighboring facility via an underground high pressure line. Recently this high pressure line started leaking and we're planning on replacing it. What would be involved to provide a temporary low pressure steam portable boiler at that neighboring facility (preferably a low pressure boiler to reduce costs) during the replacement underground line? Would a low pressure steam boiler feeding after the PRV be possible since I believe most of the coils use ~5psi.
Any insight would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,330
    Options
    First off: I am not an expert at this. By any means. Eventually someone will come along who is...

That said, it seems to me that it would be quite feasible, assuming that you really don't need more than about 5 psi. Most of the various boilers in use for heating can handle that pressure without difficulty. You will need to make a careful survey of the actual load, of course, for sizing. The only area which might get interesting would be handling condensate return, but that can be done.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • Danny Scully
    Danny Scully Member Posts: 1,425
    Options
    Rent a mobile boiler.
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,546
    Options
    Yes, a rental boiler (low pressure steam) will work fine as long as it's connected downstream of your prv. No issues with it at all.