Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

PLEASE HELP - COLDEST DAY AND SHORTCYCLING

Options
dcha
dcha Member Posts: 50
Hi everyone. It's been a while. about 2 and a half years ago Jstar installed my steam heating system. It's an old house but he put in a new boiler for me.

It is 0 degrees outside and my home is now at 55 degrees. It seems to be maintaining that temperature because the radiators are warm, not hot. I observed the boiler and the water sight is clear and the level doesn't move. It is short cycling at the ignition it seems. No pressure is building. Water level usually dips about an inch or so while steam is building but not happening. The ignition starts off for about 2 minutes then turns off and on every 10 seconds. Then the whole cycle starts again 5 min later. Jstar is MIA. Please help me!!!
njtommy

Comments

• Paul S_3
    Paul S_3 Member Posts: 1,261
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Is this gas or oil? It may need a cleaning....maybe pressuretrol pigtail clogged....are you sure it has water in boiler? Where are you located
    ASM Mechanical Company
    Located in Staten Island NY
    Servicing all 5 boroughs of NYC.
    347-692-4777
    ASMMECHANICALCORP@GMAIL.COM
    ASMHVACNYC.COM
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/asm-mechanical-company
  • dcha
    Options
    it is gas. yes, I just filled it yesterday to make sure given the cold weather expectations. How do I unclog the pigtail?
  • Paul S_3
    Options
    Remove wires from control...take the control off first....then take the pigtail off ....then verify that it is Clogged try to unclog with wire hanger
    ASM Mechanical Company
    347-692-4777
    ASMHVACNYC.COM
  • dcha
    Options
    ok. Joe installed a high cut and low cut. so I have 2 pigtails. which one
  • Paul S_3
    Options
    Check them both start with the low
    ASM Mechanical Company
    347-692-4777
    ASMHVACNYC.COM
  • dcha
    Options
    pigtail was clear. not the pigtail
  • dcha
    Options
    I checked the lower one connected to pressuretrol. not clogged. put everything back together and still doing the same thing. The other pigtail I was referring to sits on top of the boiler under the vaporstat. I don't think that one has anything to do with it.
  • KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,739
    Options
    If you used to use Joe, then you are in the area covered by either @Dave0176 or @EzzyT both good steam guys.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
  • Paul S_3
    Options
    Call DL Mechanical. ....i would come but busy in brooklyn unyil tonight
    ASM Mechanical Company
    347-692-4777
    ASMHVACNYC.COM
  • aircooled81
    aircooled81 Member Posts: 205
    Options
    Ignition is not finishing?
    Can you look and see:
    Does the arc of the ignitor happen at the pilot (can you see it sparking at the pilot cup)?
    Do you have gas... No really is there gas going to the valve?
    Sounds like your pilot is not starting, but if you do get a pilot, next see if its making contact with the flame sensor.

What did you meen when you said the 'water is clear thats how i know it hasnt fired' and 'the indicator bounces around at 10 to 15'?
  • Abracadabra
    Abracadabra Member Posts: 1,948
    Options
    This isn't short cycling. It's an ignition control problem.
    Sounds like pilot is lighting and maybe burner lights but flame isn't being sensed. Can you take a video of the burner/pilot lighting up?
  • aircooled81
    aircooled81 Member Posts: 205
    Options
    You appear to be fairly handy, if you removed and put back the pressuretrol.
    Try a pilot turn down test,
    Inside the front cover bottom left hand side is the main gas valve. Turn it off at the dial indicator. View inside and locate the pilot and the ignitor. Make sure the pilot valve is open, if one exsists. Turn the boiler on with your tstat or whatever creates the call for heat. The igniotr should try to spark at the pilot for 90 seconds, then retry if it does not see a flame. Likely off for 5 minutes if its a peerless 63/64.
    You should see spark at the pilot, a small flame apper, this flame should be touching the flame sensor.
    You Do this with the main gas valve off, so you dont get a surprise when the burners turn on.
    If the flame does appear, but is being blown away from or not making contact with your flame sensor, then theres your problem.
    If the flame is making contact with the sensor, but not staying lit for a period of 1 minute, then your flame sensor needs cleaning, isnt wired to the ignition control, ignotion control is not registering flame sense, or flame sensor is in need of cleaning.
  • dcha
    Options
    wow. ton of great advice here. I just got back from church. My neighbor claims that he has issues with his heat whenever it gets this cold because of low pressure in the natural gas supply on our street.

There is some steam being generated. The warmest bedrooms upstairs have radiators that get hot. the ground floor radiators just slightly warm.

It's almost as if the flame has trouble staying on. I'm going to look underneath to watch a cycle. I will try to record it to see what happens when it does that off and on thing.

I'm not very handy no unfortunately. Where is Joe??!??!
  • Paul S_3
    Options
    I think Jstar is with another company....where are you jersey?
    ASM Mechanical Company
    347-692-4777
    ASMHVACNYC.COM
  • dcha
    Options
    Bergen county. Ridgewood. Neighbor had utility company stop by just an hour ago. Confirmed that our street has two i ches of pressure vs 5-7 which is typical. Guy is comng out to adjust the regulator for our street.
  • Eric_32
    Eric_32 Member Posts: 267
    Options
    2 inches? wow, that is very low. Lower than the boiler requires to function correctly. That will do it.
    Jean-David Beyer
  • dcha
    Options
    Seems like things are better now. Boiler keeps running and only stopping when the low water cutoff runs its intermittent test. Water level still good. All radiators hot now.
  • dcha
    Options
    I appreciate everyone that chimed in. If anyone has JStar's new contact information, please post.
  • BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,478
    Options
    Joe is no longer installing systems, call one of the two guys above for service, mention you got their name from the wall.

Let us know how things work when they fix the pressure.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
  • dcha
    Options
    They raised the pressure. No more problems at the moment. 69 degrees in the house now. Thanks everyone!
    Jean-David Beyer
  • BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,478
    Options
    Glad to hear it, hopefully all goes well from here out.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge