Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Radiant Zone Issue

Options
H20Boy
H20Boy Member Posts: 6
Hi everyone; I am trying to troubleshoot an issue with my radiant heating system and I have not had much luck....thought I would ask some pros.

The system has two zones but one has not been working (Circulation pump not running and boiler not starting when thermostat calls for heat)

I have tried a few things as far as trouble shooting goes; here are some of them.

1. Tried a known working thermostat on the dead zone with no luck
2. Transferred control wires/circulation pump wires to different zone on control board with no luck
3. Tried a known working relay with no luck
4. Have tested for power on zone control valve (Automag RI series) has 24v power going to power terminal on one unit and is jumper-ed to second valve (both have 24v and green light is on). There is also 24v on thermostat terminal on valve. And finally there is 24v from valve terminal to the control relay box.

When heat is called for on thermostat I hear the valve open and "red" light turns on. I assume that if this red light turns on it means that the end switch has also been switched?

5. There is also 120v at the line power side of the relay control board.

Any help would be great; I am sure that I'm over looking something.

Comments

• Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,376
    Options
    How about posting some pics of your setup?
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,158
    Options
    Typically the thermostat sends a heat call to the relay box, the relay triggers a pump and a call for heat to the boiler.

If the relay lights come on when the thermostat calls, you should be fine, often you hear a relay click when the valve opens, that powers the pump and closes a signal to fire the boiler.

Does the pump get 120V? if so you could have a stuck or defective pump, or an air lock in the loop if the pump powers and spins.

Has the Automag valve been changed recently? Some of those are power close valves, maybe the wrong valve has been installed?
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • H20Boy
    Options
    Thanks for the responses guys. I will get some pics of the set up later on tonight when I am at the house.

And the relay board does not light up on this zone... I guess the one thing I havnt tried is checking the pump output for 120v .... I assumed that since the lights werent on at the relay board that the relay had not pulled in and closed the pump loop. Will try that though and get back to ya. Thanks!
  • H20Boy
    Options
    So here is a few photos of the set up. As picture was taken zone 1...which is currently working is in operation
  • rick in Alaska
    rick in Alaska Member Posts: 1,457
    Options
    Looks like zone one is a priority zone on that control. And, the priority light is currently on. So, I am assuming the bad zone is zone 2? If so, turn off the priority zone with the switch on the right side of the control and see what happens.
    Rick
  • H20Boy
    Options
    Hmmm...it's funny you say that. I didn't notice that the priority light is on... but the switch is in the off position *scratches head
  • todd_ecr
    todd_ecr Member Posts: 92
    Options
    The priority LED will come on whenever Zone 1 is calling regardless if the priority switch is on or not.

Easy way to test the control: Jump out the Tw-Tr terminals. Does it activate the circulator? If it does, the issue is outside the Argo control, if it doesn't, the issue is in the control.
  • todd_ecr
    Options
    Now that I look closer, I think we can eliminate an external issue. Is the ZR-ZC jumper in place and are the screws tight? Can you slightly apply pressure to that relay?(second one in from the left)
  • H20Boy
    Options
    ^ Will give both of those options a go. Thanks again! And I will keep everyone posted
  • todd_ecr
    Options
    One other note, the 3 zone(pump) relays and the X-X relay are the same and are interchangeable. Zone 3 looks like an unused zone, so that one could removed and used in the place of the X-X. That could tell you if it's a bad relay. We do have replacement relays available.
    SWEI
  • H20Boy
    Options
    Hey guys... I jumped out tw - tr on zone 2 and it fired right up... I'm going to assume that maybe the end switch is bad? Or maybe the valve just needs a new head? Any thoughts from here?

Thanks again
  • Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,376
    Options
    Try jumping "R" and "W" going to the thermostat. If it opens the valve and fires the the boiler, then either the stat or the cable going to it is bad. If not, the the head is bad.
    I've also seen the pinch connectors go bad on those heads.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.