Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

New Burnham MegaSteam Install

Options
Well my wallet got a bit lighter, and my house got a little warmer today. Comments on install? Do I have OCD or should they have washed today? They will come tomorrow to skim. Burned for <1hr.

Comments

• OldAndSteamed
    OldAndSteamed Member Posts: 8
    Options
    Pictures of new install. Comments
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,578
    edited December 2015
    Options
    The pictures are loading very slowly for me.
    Have you compared the piping sizes and layout with what is required in the manual for the boiler?
    You may need to skim several times more than the installers will, so make sure to watch the process. Squick, and various other treatments will not be a substitute for th old fashioned way.--NBC
    As the pictures are very dark, I cannot see the skim port-is there one?
  • hvacfreak2
    hvacfreak2 Member Posts: 500
    Options
    The pics wont load for me but congrats. I had to skim mine a good bit initially , and I was careful on my install with wiping out oil from pipes and such. I also used some old auto wax on the jacket , just because I have seen some dumb stuff in the past ruin paint on these.
    hvacfreak

Mechanical Enthusiast

Burnham MST 396 , 60 oz gauge , Tigerloop , Firomatic Check Valve , Mcdonnell Miller 67 lwco , Danfoss RA2k TRV's

Easyio FG20 Controller

• BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,479
    Options
    That looks good from here, not stellar (going up a size on the header would be better) but I'm sure it will serve you well.

It will have a few skimming sessions to get that water clean. Gid they install new air vents?

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
  • Marz
    Marz Member Posts: 90
    Options
    Off subject, How old are those oil tanks? From here looks like it's time
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,578
    edited December 2015
    Options
    What are the settings on the vaporstat? A 0-3 psi low-pressure gauge would keep those settings honest as well.--NBC
    And have you checked for any system leaks, which may have rotted out its predecessor? A water meter on the feed would be useful here.
  • Abracadabra
    Abracadabra Member Posts: 1,948
    Options
    That looks like a pressuretrol, not a vaporstat, and it looks like they've cranked it up pretty high.

The wiring looks sloppy, unless they just did that to not leave you without heat. Hopefully that will all get cleaned up.
  • OldAndSteamed
    OldAndSteamed Member Posts: 8
    Options
    Gentelmen,

Thank you for your responses. I have attached pictures of the final install. So far, so good. Not sure I'm a fan of the cycle guard low water cut off.

As the pictures are very dark, I cannot see the skim port-is there one?

Yes. I watched him skim it. Didn't seem like a lot of oil, etc, came out. But I will skim it again. Is it best to skim when the boiler / system is cold? eg - not fired for 24 hours?
    BobC said:

Did they install new air vents?

Bob

No. Should they have?
    Marz said:

Off subject, How old are those oil tanks? From here looks like it's time

Completely on topic IMHO. The installer said it's time. The tanks are ancient. Any recommendations on the tanks? They will be a PIA to get into the basement.

What are the settings on the vaporstat? A 0-3 psi low-pressure gauge would keep those settings honest as well.--NBC
    And have you checked for any system leaks, which may have rotted out its predecessor? A water meter on the feed would be useful here.

I have no idea what vaporstat settings are. How do I check? I have looked around the radiators for leaks, and the steam loops in the basement, but haven't found any.
    Will the water feeder I have also meter it? They reset it and it says 2 after they filled the boiler to fire it.

That looks like a pressuretrol, not a vaporstat, and it looks like they've cranked it up pretty high.

The wiring looks sloppy, unless they just did that to not leave you without heat. Hopefully that will all get cleaned up.

What should the pressuretrol be set to? They cleaned up the wiring etc today. Initial pics were just so I would have heat for the night.
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Set the "Main" to 1.5 PSI and the Differential to "1". That will give you a Cut-in of .5 PSI and a Cut-out Pressure of 1.5 PSI. Hopefully it will very rarely, if ever, cut out on Pressure.
    Installation looks good!
    OldAndSteamed
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,743
    Options
    I like the spin on filter + vacuum gauge.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • hvacfreak2
    edited December 2015
    Options
    This has me wondering if it is worthwhile to install the outside air ducting on mine .

Years ago I lived in a house with hot water heat and I wanted the box mount and box cover for my AFG at the time. Now I have that on my MST and I don't really want to use it , lol.
    Yes. I watched him skim it. Didn't seem like a lot of oil, etc, came out. But I will skim it again. Is it best to skim when the boiler / system is cold? eg - not fired for 24 hours?
    You want to do this when the boiler is hot ( my preference ) but some say that cold works just as well. I feel that the oils are more " fluid " when everything is hot ( versus cold ). I have a nipple and a tee facing down coming from my skim tapping. I have a boiler drain into the tee , when I want to skim I connect a hose and open the boiler drain. I manually open my fresh water fill valve just barely enough to cause the level to rise and trickle from the hose. I leave it like this for 2-3 hours at a time. The oils that cause problems may not be visible like you think , merely a " sheen " that floats on the surface of clear water is all it takes .
    hvacfreak

Mechanical Enthusiast

Burnham MST 396 , 60 oz gauge , Tigerloop , Firomatic Check Valve , Mcdonnell Miller 67 lwco , Danfoss RA2k TRV's

Easyio FG20 Controller

• hvacfreak2
    Options
    I keep a 2 inch 90 and a nipple to use in place of that plug to add cleaner and such. I keep a piece of 3/8 all thread near by to use as a Steamaster plunger.
    hvacfreak

Mechanical Enthusiast

Easyio FG20 Controller

OldAndSteamed
  • Dave0176
    Dave0176 Member Posts: 1,177
    Options
    ChrisJ said:

I like the spin on filter + vacuum gauge.

I'm old school, I like the simple cartridge filter, less waste.
    DL Mechanical LLC Heating, Cooling and Plumbing 732-266-5386
    NJ Master HVACR Lic# 4630
    Specializing in Steam Heating, Serving the residents of New Jersey
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/dl-mechanical-llc

https://m.facebook.com/DL-Mechanical-LLC-315309995326627/?ref=content_filter

I cannot force people to spend money, I can only suggest how to spend it wisely.......
  • Charlie from wmass
    Charlie from wmass Member Posts: 4,322
    Options
    If they used a 007 circulator set aside some money for getting a proper 3 piece circulator for when that dies in a couple years. There should be a bypass on the circulator piping to prevent water flashing to steam in the circulator. Looks like they assembled the piping kit as per the instructions. Does that supply tap enter a bull head tee or is there only one loop of the system?
    Cost is what you spend , value is what you get.

cell # 413-841-6726
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/charles-garrity-plumbing-and-heating